Thread: Gen4 5.3 with truck Norris cam

Potential Tuner

Gen4 5.3 with truck Norris cam

Hello new to the forum and new to tuning.
    I have no major concerns I had the vehicle dyno at 300 rwhp. But there was a detonation or pre ignition sound at WOT around 5-5500rpm. I took it back to the tuner I don?t know what changed he made all I know is it doesn?t make the sound and it is a turd compaired to what it was. I run premium fuel and I have since done away with catalytic converter insides. I had all of this on a factory exhaust before so I thought gutting cats would decrease cylinder temp and possibly allow me to ?turn it back up? without the pinging. Really need someone who I can send logs and get honest feedback. Again I?ve since bought hp tuners so I can datalog and write. Any experience or help would be greatly appreciated!
    2007 Chevy suburban 5.3 btr truck Norris cam, shorty headers, gutted cats, msd coils, trick flow exhaust valves, Manley race intake valves,Taylor 10.4 wires, 243 heads.

Tuning Addict
    Just post the log and current tune in it here. I'm sure someone can get you going in the right direction.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner

log about 40 miles plus or minus a few some hwy pulls etc

2007 Chevy suburban 5.3 btr truck Norris cam, shorty headers, gutted cats, msd coils, trick flow exhaust valves, Manley race intake valves,Taylor 10.4 wires, 243 heads.

Tuning Addict
    She's pig rich, burst knock is pulling a lot of timing with wot stomp, no wideband data, no knock sensor data and no tune

Use these channels and install a wideband if you have one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Shorter logs focused on the problem area also help to see what's going on.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    So shorter logs as in make a few wide open throttle pulls on the log? Also I haven’t yet put my downstream O2 sensor defoulers on yet waiting on them to come in the mail Would that have anything to do with what it’s doing?

Potential Tuner

attatched files.

wasn't able to understand opening of the files you attached. additionally, I didn't realize I failed to attach tune. here is a quick WOT data log and the tune that was in the vehicleoriginal tune for suburban.hptwot pull on interstate original tune.hpl.

original tune for suburban.hpt

wot pull on interstate original tune.hpl

Tuning Addict
    Once you download the attachment - right click - show in folder - copy file - go to hpt file in your computer to the scanner and then channels section - right click - paste. Should have stated you needed to do that to open the channels. Once your scanner is open - click on open recent channel config - go to where the channels were saved and then select those.

The above file states original tune - is this what's in it now or what was in it before it was re-tuned for the knock?

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    OK, so just looking at your log I'm seeing a couple of things wrong from the getgo and I'm assuming this is why it started having knock to begin with. I'm assuming of course that your fueling was off making your ethanol settings start changing. I also assume your original tune file had ethanol spark and why it may have ran better especially after seeing the low timing in the main table with no rhyme or reason for it.

In this one I disabled flex fuel, changed your PE setting for your oddball stoich setting and changed your timing table to what I know works in these. If it knocks or shows knock then pull some timing, but most likely it's false as I usually run a couple more degrees via the PE timing table.

Before you start doing any wot pulls though - make sure your fueling is right. VE wasn't dialed in at all - no surprise there, but it's probably going to be wrong with flex being enabled in the tune file not to mention that inj data doesn't look right at all.

Hopefully this will help you out some and give you what you're after without having to fix every single thing in this one
    Attached Files Attached Files

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    I know it's off topic, but do you usually see that much BRAF on these 5.3's with the truck norris cam?

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by UberVee View Post
    I know it's off topic, but do you usually see that much BRAF on these 5.3's with the truck norris cam?
    Normally 2 to 6 less depending on where in the rpm's and gear selections you're looking. Like I kind of hinted above - lots of things in that tune don't make sense

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Normally 2 to 6 less depending on where in the rpm's and gear selections you're looking. Like I kind of hinted above - lots of things in that tune don't make sense
    10-4, I only ask because I'm tuning one now and the airflow it wants is much less than that so it had me scratching my head. Sorry to the OP for digressing.
    Last edited by UberVee; 03-02-2023 at 02:35 PM.

Potential Tuner
    thank you i plan on writing this tune tomorrow. is there a video youd reccomend or a quick discription as to how to tune the ve?

Potential Tuner
    worst part is i paid a "professional" 500$ for the tune and took it back to him 3 additional times without charge. but this is what he left me with. really wish I would've bought the program first went through all the steps. probably would have been a little easier of a learning curve. all that for you all to make him soud like a joke but i really would appreciate any bit of tips amd or tricks on what some of the key abbreviations on what i need to know.
    ei

Potential Tuner
    Greg, I have been working on tuning my rebuilt aluminum 5.3 with a 212/218 .550 Lift TSP Stage 2 cam in my 09 silverado, would the timing tables you added work for this as well? Ive been baffled on where to start with setting up a base high/low timing table...we only have 91 octane here. Im catless with longtubes as well if that makes a difference.

Appreciate the response!
    Alan