Thread: It drives!! Now need some input on the tune!

Tuner in Training

It drives!! Now need some input on the tune!

LS3 E38 swap. Running speed density only. T56 manual transmission.

Car is up and running and first drive since being apart went really pretty good. It is drivable in it's current state - no weird behaviors in the 20 min test drive.

I noticed that the ST fuel trims are within a few % most of the table but some areas (lower throttle load) they can spike to 20%'s or so. I was also surprised with the timing requested in some areas - up to 46 degrees.

If I understand correctly I should use those ST fuel trims and apply them to the base table and smooth around them to get closer to target?

Attached is the log file and the running tune if anyone is up to giving some suggestions/hints. I'm also willing to donate/pay/beer/pizza to a knowledgeable tuner to help me learn.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Use STFT and LTFT to correct the tune. Use Edit>Virtual Volumetric Efficiency. Copy with Axis fuel trim tables, paste special multiply by percent (or -Half), interpolate points, press Calculate Coefficients. In the future you can customize your log file to include more data cells.

PE a little lean.

Set MAF fail to 0Hz.

Sure about how hot the spark is? There's no knock in the log, but still. It's up there. I've never seen one so close to MBT to run pump gas.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-22-2023 at 06:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm just a newby - can you give some hints on the added logs to add to assist?

Also on the spark - not sure what you mean?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-22-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Senior Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...621#post416621

For spark I'm just saying those numbers seem high. See how Base spark compares to the MBT spark table? If it runs fine then it runs fine. Just check and double check that it's not knocking. Was there any dickery with the knock sensor levels in the tune?
    https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...ing-101-a.html
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-22-2023 at 08:55 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks - that helps.

I need to read up on the spark stuff. I don't hear any knock at all but with the long tube headers it's not so quiet to be really able to. It's a very light car for the engine - 2700lb with me and son in it - and basically impossible to lug the engine. You can let out the clutch at idle in 1st and 2nd and the car will just crawl away. Perhaps this contributes somehow?

The car came with the basic tune in it and running so not sure if the knock sensors have been modified. I looked and it seems reasonable to what Goat Rope Garage states as a "safe" versus "dangerous" tune.

I will take it out for a longer drive to get some more fuel trim data to apply.