Thread: Tuning Nick Williams 112mm Throttle Body

Advanced Tuner

Tuning Nick Williams 112mm Throttle Body

Hi all. Has anyone here successfully tuned a Nick Williams 112? Looking for some help.

I blew up my Kenne Bell blown 2010 LS3 Camaro a few years ago. Cats let go and plugged in my x-pipe and wiped out the crank bearing on the poor cylinder that was on the compression stroke at that moment. I finally got around to rebuilding it. Here?s the basics of the build:

Stock 376 cubes
    Forged rotating assembly
    Lowered compression to 9:1
    BTR stage 3 PDS ?torque? cam
    Frankenstein M311 Monster heads
    LT headers
    Nick Williams 112mm throttle body

I knew when I bought the TB that it may be a tuning risk. I?m about 2 weeks away from getting the vehicle all back together and ready for a fire up and begin tuning. So proactively looking for some help and tips from those who have done this.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    I just wrapped up with one recently...was pleasantly surprised with it. No throttle related issues at all. That said, I had a supercharger inlet pressure sensor available...things change without one.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting. Never heard of those. Can you tell me a bit more about them and point me to some products and places to read up on them (function, installation, etc). I can certainly put one in if it?s critical to tune it.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    I just wrapped up with one recently...was pleasantly surprised with it. No throttle related issues at all. That said, I had a supercharger inlet pressure sensor available...things change without one.
    Out of curiosity, what ETC Scalar did you use with the 112mm?

Quote Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
    Interesting. Never heard of those. Can you tell me a bit more about them and point me to some products and places to read up on them (function, installation, etc). I can certainly put one in if it?s critical to tune it.
    It's really (as I understand it?) just a real physical BARO sensor, instead of inferring BARO from MAP at wide-open and assuming those will be the same. Which they won't be if you've added boost and the ECM can't be told "hey, dude, it doesn't work like that anymore. knock it off."

Not all ECMs have the provision to read a discrete BARO/SCIP sensor, the pins just aren't there and the OS doesn't have the stuff to look for it.

Tuning Addict
    ^^^^ mostly just specific e67's running a lsa's OS. I've never seen one added to a different controller, but smokeshow having his background could probably change the background OS for it to work - don't know. I do know they require remapping the baro throttle body tables and maxing the etc scaler. At least the last I did on a blower did, but that was a 108 too... I'm amazed the OP was able to find an inlet that worked for it. I remember having to use a 1/4" think rubber boot to couple the TB to the CAI box. Only found one from one company out there that worked on the big TB's inlet.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Out of curiosity, what ETC Scalar did you use with the 112mm?
    No change. For that car, at low throttle positions where it matters, the effective area of the throttle doesn't seem to differ enough from the OEM unit to cause significant issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    ^^^^ mostly just specific e67's running a lsa's OS. I've never seen one added to a different controller, but smokeshow having his background could probably change the background OS for it to work - don't know. I do know they require remapping the baro throttle body tables and maxing the etc scaler. At least the last I did on a blower did, but that was a 108 too... I'm amazed the OP was able to find an inlet that worked for it. I remember having to use a 1/4" think rubber boot to couple the TB to the CAI box. Only found one from one company out there that worked on the big TB's inlet.
    I've never changed any algorithms on a production controller. Not really possible without the full suite of tools that the manufacturers use. I have just exploited GM's software commonality and enabled/changed things that were already there. That said, I'm not aware of an E38 that utilizes a SCIAP.