Thread: False Knock?

Potential Tuner

False Knock?

I've been trying to figure out this inconsistent knock for a bit now anyone got any ideas? I have it scaled in the scanner only up to 2 degrees on the graph. It sees anywhere up to 2.5 degrees being pulled out. I am still learning myself but the tuner who tuned the car said it wasn't a big deal. If anyone could take a once over and let me know if the knock is real or if you think the tune quality isn't that great, thanks

Screenshot 2022-10-25 101945.pngScreenshot 2022-10-25 102303.pngScreenshot_20221025_102057.png
    Last edited by Zex; 01-19-2023 at 09:38 PM.

Potential Tuner
    tune 1.hpt
    10-23-22 knock.hpl
    tune file and log here

Tuner in Training
    I'm learning myself, but it does look to me similar to the knock I'm having on a 5.3 truck after a rebuild. I have the knock sensors set to stock currently, and every time i step on the pedal with any speed whatsover, It shows knock. I don't really think mine is actual knock, but I've attempted to get rid of it by desensitizing the sensors and it looks about like your full log file does when I do that. I would actually like to hear what somebody with more experience would think.

As far as the tune goes, The airflow final minimum is like half of what mine is in my Camaro dyno tune....how does it idle? What kind of cam? M6 car or Auto? I can't really tell the MAF has been calibrated, looks like a really smooth line, and he's got you running MAF only. VE doesn't look right, Your EQ at 7k rpm is 1.14 and the whole table is set at that. Mine starts at 1.13 in the low RPMS and goes up to 1.19 at 7500...so you're running leaner at high RPMs. Spark is considerably different...I'm running a stage 4 cam.

I wouldn't call it a great tune, but again, I'm learning also and would like to hear what someone with more experience would have to say.

Senior Tuner
    1-2 maybe even 3 degrees randomly isn't a problem. 2 degrees that repeatably happens in the same spot needs to be addressed but even still it isn't a huge problem.

I only really worry about knock that happens repeatably.

You can scan a completely stock car and get an idea of normal behavior.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    It does not stall out or even search for rpms much at idle, even rolling. But I do feel it sounds pretty inconsistent compared to people with the same set up. Its the TSP BFD cam i forget the exact specs on it, believe its relative to a stage 2. Its an M6 car, but VE tables are set to disable at 500rpm.

A false knock condition can easily be tested by removing timing in that area of the spark map and making another pull. If you see the same KR being reported...then you know it is false knock and you can try to desensitize your knock sensors. This is safer than desensitizing and crossing your fingers.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarTissue48 View Post
    I'm learning myself, but it does look to me similar to the knock I'm having on a 5.3 truck after a rebuild. I have the knock sensors set to stock currently, and every time i step on the pedal with any speed whatsover, It shows knock.
    Sounds like Burst Knock.

Potential Tuner
    We have 5.3L LC9 that the DOD caused false knock. The knock retard stripped 3 to 5 degrees. (false knock) (For the hell of it and a can of beer!) We stripped the drivers side of the motor and found #7 intake lifter partly busted. Replaced the intake DOD lifter from a good LMG 5.3 and it solved the false knock 100%. 2 weeks later #4 intake & exhaust DOD let go and wiped the cam exhaust side! It showed 11 to 18 degrees taken out set the check engine light and I shut it down! Lot of our false knock was from DOD issues! No more DOD put LS3 cam in . Runs better and actually gained 4mpg! Full Rebuild! No false knock after rebuild! Going to push timing tune with 10 gallons of 110 octane. DOD is proven to me now to cause false knock!