Thread: False Knock from Clutch?

Potential Tuner

False Knock from Clutch?

New to tuning and trying to clean up and dial in the tune, originally i thought i was getting partial throttle knock (.5-2.0 degrees being pulled) that the tuner didnt want to deal with, tired pulling timing out the octane table to get the pings to stop, was sorta successful. Most I started seeing was 1 degree being pulled, but also noticed it blips when i shift, especially when slipping the clutch at all. Is there a a parameter im ignorant to? Tuner previously desensitized my knock sensors.
    Last edited by Zex; 01-19-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Senior Tuner
    If you find a car that has zero knock all the time than you either got a car with dead knock sensors or one so incredibly neutered that it's no where near optimal performance.

It's completely fine to see a degree or two maybe here or there as long as it isn't consistent. Meaning you can't make it do it.. Or it does it 3 out of 5 times in this one spot..etc. You shouldn't worry yourself with minor random knock.

If it knocks every single time it shifts I would take timing out of the main spark table at the point when the knock retard initially jumps.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate it thank you, it consistently happens any time I slip the clutch, launching it, rolling out of a stop, but on avg only .5 degrees ocassionally reaching 1 degree. on clean shifts while driving theres not at all.

Senior Tuner
    I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Your are not going to notice a power loss with such a small amount of timing pulled. It doesn't sound like real knock to me.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    It sounds like real knock to me. I see it on Automatics sometimes right after an upshift especially into overdrive or when the converter clutch locks especially with a loose converter. Its happening because the engine is getting pulled down in RPM and cylinder pressures are spiking with increased MAP. Personally I would add some retard in the Burst Knock tables. My 11:1 383 L31 based small block has the Burst Knock retard values doubled and the enable air cut in half. Does a great job preventing tip-in detonation as the load increases without having to aggressively cut the timing table at steady loading.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 10-12-2022 at 03:05 PM.

Potential Tuner
    It is a manual car though, stock ls3 with a cam, would the same effect be the same in shifts? Does happen on up shifts slightly, but mostly when rolling out of a stop.