Thread: Commanded AFR issue. Stock calibration.

Tuner in Training

Commanded AFR issue. Stock calibration.

Have a extremely odd issue. I have used the same Commanded AFR PID for years without issue. Have a 2016 Sierra that is a 6.0 LS based engine with a E78 ECM. Logged the truck bone stock zero changes and it?s showing a commanded AFR of 8.25. So I thought maybe something is just being glitchy. Exited out of the scanner. Re started it. Deleted that specific PID from my channels and re added it. Still the same 8.25. I know virtual flex can do funky things. I typically disable it. But it?s showing 3.1% ethanol content and 8.25 would have to be past 100% content anyways. I hooked the scanner up to another truck(gen 4 e38) and the PID works fine and reads a correct idle commanded AFR. Has anyone ever had this issue. I?ve tried everything(deleting PID, restarting scanner, rebooting the laptop) the only thing I haven?t done yet is delete the software and redownload. But the PID working on something else just hasn?t led me to doing that yet. I want to clarify this is a completely stock calibration. Even if I flatline commanded stoich and disable virtual flex in the calibration it still reads the 8.25 commanded AFR. I will add the file and a log of the issue later today.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rptuning1 View Post
    Have a extremely odd issue. I have used the same Commanded AFR PID for years without issue. Have a 2016 Sierra that is a 6.0 LS based engine with a E78 ECM. Logged the truck bone stock zero changes and it?s showing a commanded AFR of 8.25. So I thought maybe something is just being glitchy. Exited out of the scanner. Re started it. Deleted that specific PID from my channels and re added it. Still the same 8.25. I know virtual flex can do funky things. I typically disable it. But it?s showing 3.1% ethanol content and 8.25 would have to be past 100% content anyways. I hooked the scanner up to another truck(gen 4 e38) and the PID works fine and reads a correct idle commanded AFR. Has anyone ever had this issue. I?ve tried everything(deleting PID, restarting scanner, rebooting the laptop) the only thing I haven?t done yet is delete the software and redownload. But the PID working on something else just hasn?t led me to doing that yet. I want to clarify this is a completely stock calibration. Even if I flatline commanded stoich and disable virtual flex in the calibration it still reads the 8.25 commanded AFR. I will add the file and a log of the issue later today.
    I do want to add to this that the engine temp has been all the way to 200-205* with no change in commanded AFR.

Tuner in Training
    Another thing to add before I attach the file and log here soon. I don’t believe the ECM is actually commanding 8.25 AFR. I think the scanner is just reporting it incorrectly. With wide band in exhaust it is still reading in the 14s AFR wise.

I’ve seen this before on same year and computer… it’s not that rich, wouldn’t run otherwise and still goes into Closed loop

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I?ve seen this before on same year and computer? it?s not that rich, wouldn?t run otherwise and still goes into Closed loop
    I agree it?s not. I can tell by just how the engine sounds and what wideband is showing. With that said is there any fix to make it read correctly? Did you just tune it using EQ error? Obviously AFR error is out of the question when commanded isn?t reading correctly in the channels..

Yep just use lambda

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. That was my plan. But I’m a overthinker and didn’t want this to cause a issue. I was confident it wasn’t actually commanding that. But definitely something that makes you scratch your head and want to see if anyone else has had the issue also. Did you contact support over it? I opened a ticket not sure if anything can or will be fixed. But if it’s a issue definitely would be nice to get it to read correctly at some point.

I knew it was a glitch.. just moved forward and tuned the vehicle

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. Well appreciate the info. Good to hear someone else had the exact issue helps ease my mind for sure. Thanks again.

Tuner in Training
    For anyone that is curious or cares. HPT fixed this issue in the latest beta. They sent a email out to me this morning acknowledging the problem and they got it fixed. Not a major issue but happy it was resolved.