Thread: Startup/stalling and Idle issues 5.3

Startup/stalling and Idle issues 5.3

Been working on this for a bit now. 03 Sierra 4.8 swapped to 5.3. 10.0 to 1 CR,222/[email protected] 112LSA,TrailblazerSS intake and injectors,
    LS3 90mm Throttle body using XLINK adapter, return style fuel system (no vac ref) p59 pcm.

Running better but still a few starting and idle issues Below are attached tune files, Initial read before any changes
    Current read AUG 18 Pretty sure all the basic parameters are right for the 5.3
    3 log files AUG 18 Runs pretty good going down the road but tends to almost stall when throttle released
    Have changed base idle airflow and base rpm. Have made changes to throttle follower and cracker
    Was starting good but something has changed not sure what
    Have made small changes to MAF calibration

Still new to HP tuners so any advice is appreciated Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RicksPerf; 08-18-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RicksPerf View Post
    Been working on this for a bit now. 03 Sierra 4.8 swapped to 5.3. 10.0 to 1 CR,222/[email protected] 112LSA,TrailblazerSS intake and injectors,
    LS3 90mm Throttle body using XLINK adapter, return style fuel system (no vac ref) p59 pcm.

Running better but still a few starting and idle issues Below are attached tune files, Initial read before any changes
    Current read AUG 18 Pretty sure all the basic parameters are right for the 5.3
    3 log files AUG 18 Runs pretty good going down the road but tends to almost stall when throttle released
    Have changed base idle airflow and base rpm. Have made changes to throttle follower and cracker
    Was starting good but something has changed not sure what
    Have made small changes to MAF calibration

Still new to HP tuners so any advice is appreciated Thanks
    Make these three changes and report back.

Go to Engine>Idle>Airflow...
    Change Desired IAC Area Max to 200.
    Change ETC Area Scalar to 0.0168

Then go to Engine>Airflow>Dynamic...
    Change High RPM Disable to 200 rpm.

Started fine ,not much flare, Its a different truck, way better. seemed to have a higher rolling idle at the end of RayMaug3 log.
    appreciate the help.. maybe you could explain the changes so I can try to grasp what happened.. Here are 2 more logs THANKS
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Started fine ,not much flare, Its a different truck, way better. seemed to have a higher rolling idle at the end of RayMaug3 log.
    appreciate the help.. maybe you could explain the changes so I can try to grasp what happened.. Here are 2 more logs THANKS

Good deal. Changing the High RPM Dynamic Disable to 200 rpm forces it to Dynamic mode immediately. It's running on the MAF sensor and not the VE table.

Changing the Desired IAC Area Max will extend the allowed idle range for the TB opening.

Changing the ETC Area Scalar was because I've tuned a few similar to yours and found that they all worked better with this slightly larger Scalar.

Again, Thanks for your help.. Being new to HP Tuners, now that its running better is there a methodical approach to continue tuning on this truck?
    For example Dial in MAF, VE table ,Speed density,Spark tables ?

Senior Tuner
    Again, Thanks for your help.. Being new to HP Tuners, now that its running better is there a methodical approach to continue tuning on this truck?
    For example Dial in MAF, VE table ,Speed density,Spark tables ?
    I typically tune these a little differently than this. I'm not very fond of the MAF sensors on these year models, so I typically tune these in SD mode. But yours seems to be working fine.

Great Thanks again for the help