Thread: Mustang 4.0 V6 supercharged Ecu swap

Potential Tuner

Mustang 4.0 V6 supercharged Ecu swap

Hi all,

not a big expert in HPtuners here, but untill now I did some good recalibrations on GM and Ford ECUs.... untill now...:

One year ago I did some dyno tuning on a Magnuson Supercharged Mustang V6 4.0: car came here with an SCT tune, I read the tune and licensed it with hptuners, and the result was a stable AFR and a good power gain. I changed some parameter on gearbox, too, and other minor adjustments.

One year later ECU broken, and I bought a reconditioned ECU: learned keys, everything fine, engine running. I downloaded the new calibration, licensed it, and copied all the parameters from the old tune (different OS).

Here came the problem: I'm not able to get good AFR under load, engine hesitations, and so on....

I loaded the old tuned OS, engine runs perfectly but I have the limp on dashboard due to wrong OS. Deleting the DTC doesn't solve the dispaly message.

I double checked all the parameters, and I'm not able to find differences between the two tunes (the current FBBT057 and the old FBBS2B2). Are there other changes made by SCT in the OS to support the supercharger that are not available in the VCM editor? Or is there a way to let the new ECU accept the old OS?

attached the old and the new calibrations

Ford_Mustang_V6_FBBT057_compressore_pre7_v4.HPTFord_Mustang_V6_FBBS2B2_Supercharged_PRE7.HPT

thanks
    Last edited by mattech; 07-05-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattech View Post
    Hi all,

not a big expert in HPtuners here, but untill now I did some good recalibrations on GM and Ford ECUs.... untill now...:

One year ago I did some dyno tuning on a Magnuson Supercharged Mustang V6 4.0: car came here with an SCT tune, I read the tune and licensed it with hptuners, and the result was a stable AFR and a good power gain. I changed some parameter on gearbox, too, and other minor adjustments.

One year later ECU broken, and I bought a reconditioned ECU: learned keys, everything fine, engine running. I downloaded the new calibration, licensed it, and copied all the parameters from the old tune (different OS).

Here came the problem: I'm not able to get good AFR under load, engine hesitations, and so on....

I loaded the old tuned OS, engine runs perfectly but I have the limp on dashboard due to wrong OS. Deleting the DTC doesn't solve the dispaly message.

I double checked all the parameters, and I'm not able to find differences between the two tunes (the current FBBT057 and the old FBBS2B2). Are there other changes made by SCT in the OS to support the supercharger that are not available in the VCM editor? Or is there a way to let the new ECU accept the old OS?

attached the old and the new calibrations

Ford_Mustang_V6_FBBT057_compressore_pre7_v4.HPTFord_Mustang_V6_FBBS2B2_Supercharged_PRE7.HPT

thanks
    Ok looking at your information you strategies are not the same, the original FBBS2B2 is DUR3 box code and FBBT057 is a box code ZPG0. two different strategies, there is incompatibility between the two even though you were able to copy over the data. the new computer i would have reprogrammed as a new blank computer with as built data from ford either using IDS , Pass thru Pro or Forscan.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 07-05-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply!

When you say “incompatibility”, do you mean that the new ecu strategy is not compatible with that engine? Or the old strategy can’t work if loaded inside that ecu hardware?

Because the seller of the ECU said that the new ecu was coming with the lastest Software update from Ford for that engine…

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattech View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

When you say “incompatibility”, do you mean that the new ecu strategy is not compatible with that engine? Or the old strategy can’t work if loaded inside that ecu hardware?

Because the seller of the ECU said that the new ecu was coming with the lastest Software update from Ford for that engine…
    the strategy are different with going to ford and looking to see if ZPG0 replaced your old strategy DUR3 your cant flash the old over the the new or vise versa, check sum issues, different parameter settings may not all line up, and cause issues.

Potential Tuner
    ok, so no way to load old tune...

anyway, I can't understand why the new OS doesn't work, even if I copy all the modified maps of the old tune in the new OS! I sent all my tunes to HPtuners support asking if some parameters were missing from the VCM Editor, but their anwer is that they doen't offer support about tuning, but only related to their software.

I didn't asked to solve my tune problem, I know that I must tune my car myself, I asked if tables or parameter are missing and I can't see/modify them in the VCM Editor...

Tuner
    These strategies should be able to swap (I've done much worse successfully). The answer to your question is yes, there are things you cannot see. No tuning software has every available parameter for a given PCM. If you know what's missing and what address they are located at, you could use User Defined Parameters to add them.

If you were happy with the previous strategy I would focus on making that strategy and tune work with the new PCM. If you can, I would attempt to write over the stock FBBS2B2 calibration using IDS/Forscan/tool of your choice, and then run the PCM parameter reset/module initialization again (swapping strategies likely "breaks" the learned modules). Then flash your old tune. The CAN has no clue what sticker is on the PCM, so as long as there wasn't a major hardware change, it should be smooth sailing.