Thread: Aftermarket Tune Mod?

Potential Tuner

Aftermarket Tune Mod?

My son has a mustang that was purchased a few months ago. It has numerous mods on it and is supposed to have a Bama Tune on it, although the tuner was not provided with the car. We now believe we have issues with the Cam Phasers on the car and was wanting to install phaser lockouts, but the issue comes in with the tuning. Since I don't have tuner with the factory tune or the tune built for the car, what are my options? Can the HP Tuner read the existing tune and allow me to disable the VVT mode? Any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kgoodrich View Post
    My son has a mustang that was purchased a few months ago. It has numerous mods on it and is supposed to have a Bama Tune on it, although the tuner was not provided with the car. We now believe we have issues with the Cam Phasers on the car and was wanting to install phaser lockouts, but the issue comes in with the tuning. Since I don't have tuner with the factory tune or the tune built for the car, what are my options? Can the HP Tuner read the existing tune and allow me to disable the VVT mode? Any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated.
    What year Mustang? As a quick answer Yes HP will read the current tune in the pcm, and yes with the HP software it will allow you to make changes to the the file you pull and license with HP. You can test the cam pahsers before you start spending money on tune software and equipment make sure its not a phaser issue. Does the Car have after market cams installed? what other MODS does the Stang Have?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    What year Mustang? As a quick answer Yes HP will read the current tune in the pcm, and yes with the HP software it will allow you to make changes to the the file you pull and license with HP. You can test the cam pahsers before you start spending money on tune software and equipment make sure its not a phaser issue. Does the Car have after market cams installed? what other MODS does the Stang Have?
    Step 1. Check DTC in PCM, Cylinder Misfire may be present , check engine noise if noise is present disconnect VCT Solenoids and got for a test drive, if noise gone or changes it suggest there could be a VCT issue.
    By disconnecting the VCT Solenoid it locks the Cam phasers place and eliminates a lot of other systems that can cause the same symptoms, including fuel delivery and ignition.
    Step 2. Using a scan tool or Ford IDS check VCT Advance Error PID on both left and Right Banks in closed loop the VCT ADV Error should hoover around (0) Degs +/- 5* variance.
    Step 3. Monitor VCT solenoid Duty Cycle PID, the percentage should be equal to each other on both banks, if there is an issue the PCM will compensate by increasing the duty cycle/ percentage of the solenoid. Minor Variation is normal. Remember is the VCT system is in Open loop the System will be disabled and the PIDS won’t provide the data for diagnoses.
    4 areas of concern Oil pressure, oil bleed off, restriction in VCT oil passage, mechanically error. VCT needs oil pressure to operate correctly, temperature can affect pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    Provided its not tuner locked, Correct?
    (I realize you said quick answer)
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer