Thread: MAP/PE issues w/ OL-ACCEL

Tuner in Training

MAP/PE issues w/ OL-ACCEL

Hi all,
    Fairly novice tuner here - but i've been getting much deeper into it as of late. Really appreciate all the great information on this site, it has been tremendously helpful with the learning curve.

I'm currently working on a vehicle that a buddy dropped off. It is a 2010 escalade, the 6.2 lost a connecting rod, and he swapped in a gen4 5.3. To get the assembly to work, he swapped a 5.3 truck, fuel rails and injectors on, and obviously the truck would barely run.

Here is where I started:
    - reset TPS
    - change fuel injector data
    - change displacement
    - delete VVT (cam was swapped w/ simple LQ4 cam)
    - doesn't have DOD

After that, it would start, and run pretty well.
    I forced it into OL, SD and did some tuning to the VVE table w/ my wideband O2 logging EQ error
    Then forced into OL, MAF and did some calibration

Re-enabled oxygen sensors, DFCO and COT and the truck drives pretty good, with the exception of a hesitation around 60mph - 1400-1800rpm.

To diagnose the hesitation, i reviewed the logs, and noted that during the hesitation, timing was getting significantly pulled. The 'fuel cut type' was noted as TQRED. As you can imagine, I went and modified the torque settings. Re-logged, and now that was solved, but the hesitation was still present. I was getting knock retard in that rpm range. But i discovered that the O2 sensor 'fuel system status' was going in to OL-ACCEL - which I believe is PE.

So, this is where I currently sit. I'm not entirely sure why PE is kicking in at 1400rpm. I am wondering if my MAP sensor is bad, causing it to think its under more load than it actually is?

The MAP reading jumps to the 90kPa at very light throttle - even though the PE HOT TPS is set to 87, why would it force me into OL-ACCEL?

Tune attached. I'll have to run another log and upload it.

Thanks for your help
    Jason

rev 8 Escalade 5.3 swap OL-ACCEL issue.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Here is an example of a log I took last night. Note that 2:49 is showing a massive timing pull. doesn't show knock, no fuel cut type

I'll be logging more pids later this evening, when i get a chance to look at it again.

Timing example.hpl

Pretty sure I have a torque management issue going on here w/ the 6.2 to 5.3 swap. That plus the PE not being setup properly, is causing major issues around that 1500-1800rpm point.
    This just happens to coincide w/ 60mph and 6 gear, so its rather annoying..

Thoughts?

Thanks all.. I've been searching/ reading all day.

Advanced Tuner
    I have not looked at your logs but does the scanner show MAP at ~100kPa with the key on and engine off? If it does not, you need to fix that.

he swapped in a gen4 5.3. To get the assembly to work, he swapped a 5.3 truck, fuel rails and injectors on
    What year/make/model are all the parts currently being used? Especially the MAP sensor.

Oh, and kill the Virtual Flex with extreme prejudice. It will do you no favors here, it works based on estimating a bunch of crap you can't adjust for in the tune and those things you can't adjust are still expecting to get data from a stock 6.2L.

Tuner in Training
    Guys, thanks for the pointers!
    I just got the truck back here, and plugged in. It was at 27.5% alcohol, and obviously running off the flex fuel stoichs. I disabled the flex fuel setting and flattened the stoich table.

The guy doesn't know where the parts came from - but i'd assume an 09-10 silverado w/ 5.3. The MAP sensor is part number 12614973 and i'm using the following values: 94.43 and 10.43

KOEO MAP is reading 99, which is why I thought I had it scaled appropriately.

I will post a log and the updated tune in a few minutes after resetting everything and doing a road test.

Tuner in Training
    OK, here is the first log of the day and the current tune I dropped in w/ the flex fuel disabled.

A few notes I saw in the log
    I shut the truck off at the end, to show the MAP w/ KOEO -- 99kPa
    time 1:29 - spark torque management - Trans - this was around a 2-3 shift
    time 4.11 - spark torque management - Trans - 6th gear
    Just before 4.11 timing was pulled to -10 degrees - this is the dip you can feel in the truck
    4.13 - burst knock of 5 degrees

on and on you can see similar repeats.

The torque management doesn't always kick in at the same time as the massive timing pull. The knock doesn't happen at the same time either.

Thoughts?
    Revert to D1 - disabled FF - test loop1.hpl
    S1 Disabled FF RD1.hpt

I'll get my wideband back on shortly. And then post another log

Tuner in Training
    so i noticed a hole in my MAF... must have accidentally dragged a point down. Going to see if this fixes it. will report back soon...

Tuner in Training
    OK, got somewhere here.
    MAF had an issue, fixed that and got rid of FF. Seems my hesitation is gone now. But still having a couple issues.

Check log, and note:
    1)3:36.868, notice the commanded EQ goes to 0.914 and spark advance drops to 2 degrees
    2) 3:37.106 - it jumps into OL-ACCEL, but PE is still off.. This bumps from CL to my OL tables, and thats where I was having the issue. Still not sure why its doing this..
    3) i have a little knock retard in the lower rpms, will look at that in a bit

So yeah, those first 2 changes happen dang near simultaneously. Any ideas? tune and log attached
    S8 CL RD1.hpl
    S8 CL RD1.hpt

Really appreciate the help. It seems to run much better now, but want to figure out why those random issues pop up.
    jason

Quote Originally Posted by Halfasd View Post
    1)3:36.868, notice the commanded EQ goes to 0.914 and spark advance drops to 2 degrees
    That's the Catalyst/Post-O2 tests, they're still enabled. All the post-cat O2 & cat codes are disabled; are the sensors & cats removed, or just turned off in the tune?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    That's the Catalyst/Post-O2 tests, they're still enabled. All the post-cat O2 & cat codes are disabled; are the sensors & cats removed, or just turned off in the tune?
    The cats still exist. Post cat O2 codes just turned off. Sensors are still installed.

How do I kill the test?

Thanks!

I could turn it off for you, but if you're on a newer version of the editor you won't be able to turn it back on later, if the intention is to put everything back to stock operation.

If you have version 4.8.7 or earlier it's located at Engine Diag > Exhaust.

I believe it should only do those tests once per drive cycle. For tuning with WB or trims, you can just filter out anything where commanded EQ is less than 1.00.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting - I think i'll hold off on disabling for a while. I think I found one phantom timing issue. Will report back if resolved tomorrow.

Lastly for now, think you could review the log at 6:31.818? I can't figure out what was killing the timing here. DFCO ? looks like deceleration combined w/ jumping from high octane to low?

6:49.874 - same deal
    7:11.515 - ETC and Spark Trans management torque reduction
    7:21.436 - little burst knock action
    7:36.412 - burst knock and trans torque reduction
    7:48.846 - ?

It almost looks like i get a massive timing reduction when the LTFTs make a correction..

I think my path forward is lower ignition timing in the regions of knock - and do some more SD/MAF tuning to get the trim variation smaller. Seems like that would solve it?

Have you (or anyone else) messed with the proportional/integral or any of the LTFT sensitivity settings?

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by Halfasd; 06-18-2022 at 10:08 PM.