Thread: Correcting MAP values

Correcting MAP values

Not sure if I am on the right track here so I'll explain what has happened.

I removed the EGR system from an 09 4.6 2 valve engine. (Stuff broke and I figured why not just get rid of it)
    After that I am getting a code for MAP voltage being to high.

I am thinking this is due to increased airflow through the MAP sensor due to the EGR no longer being there.

Would I correct this by logging the current MAP psi at different rpms and replacing the values with those currently in the PCM?

Thanks for any knowledge you care to share!

Okay... Had some time to play with it. I'm gonna have to look at a wiring schematic to fully understand but basically the egr valve doubles as a BARO sensor. Sooooo.... Yeah... Kinda thinking I can't "tune" my way around that so I have some figuring to do.

Advanced Tuner
    Look at the wiring diagram. Some circuits can share the same signal return which is basically a ECM ground. Removing a component that shares a signal return, can create an open circuit depending on how its wired. Circuit high faults are cause by open circuits (cut wires or whatever), or something not plugged in. If you've removed the EGR, you may need to tap the signal return wire back somehow. Or do something similar to that effect. Look at the wiring diagram and see if any circuits are shared with the EGR and MAP

Yeah I got a good look at it. It's an integrated MAP sensor with the EGR valve. DPFE is in there too but I don't care about that.

I have an option to disable the MAP sensor in my tune but I think I'm going to see if I can get the "map" part off the egr valve part and use it. Car runs really good and I'm not sure if removing the MAP sensor is a good idea. My gut tells me its not since I don't see how else the pcm can figure out load.

Advanced Tuner
    You will need the MAP. You may be able to find an aftermarket intake or some other solution to add an separate MAP sensor to the intake. Then just wire it in and tune away. You also may be able to run MAF only, but I'm not completely sure if the MAP is used for MAF only fueling calculations. Someone more experienced may be able to chime in on that subject.

Depends on how the MAP is plummed. If it is reading manifold vacuum or just open to atmosphere. But either way, MAP as I understand it is for Barometric reading. So it does affect fueling.
    If the sensor is reading manifold vacuum, then Baro is updated before start up and WOT.

So the fix isn't so bad. It does pull vacuum from the intake btw.

I pulled the top off the egr valve which has the DPFE and MAP sensor on it. Plugged the no longer needed ports and built a bracket for it. Hooked it up and plugged it in. Car is happy again. Registers load without issue and no more pending codes. I really like the graphing ability of this software. Makes it really easy to see when its right as well as when its wrong.

Thanks for the help guys!