Thread: Idle Control

Advanced Tuner

Idle Control

I'm full of questions today LOL.

04 F-150. Does this PI controller effect idle control? Would it have any control on spark control? Having an issue getting the engine to run smooth at idle. It idles without stalling but the engine is shaky. Timing is jumping from 15 to 10 really quick and I'm almost sure this is my issue.

Thanks everyone.
    PI.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    I doubt it, that is under the fuel tab, most if not all timing controls are under the spark tab.
    It's normal for timing to be moving while idling, that's one way the ecu controls the idle

Advanced Tuner
    Well bummer... Wonder why my idle is unstable. The second I give it throttle it's smooth. I know on GM you could control spark corrections. I can get a GM to idle at commanded setpoint and adjustments are within 1 degree. I'm guessing this isn't possible on Ford 😥

Post a log man. No one can help without data.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    Post a log man. No one can help without data.
    Sorry I didn't see this.

Here is a log. As you can tell I've thrown everything at this but the kitchen sink. What's weird on this log is I set idle spark to 22 degrees but MBT and BLK to 12 and timing didn't jump around so much.... Wondering if Idle spark does anything now? Truck has a mutha thumper cam, IMRC delete, long tube headers, KNN CAI, MSD coils, Ford Racing 27 pound injectors, E-fan conversion, and VCT lockout to name a few.. Cams are degreed, all cylinders have good compression, no exhaust or vacuum leaks, and runs smooth off idle. While idling it shakes enough I worry about the motor destroying the mounts and long tubes. You can feel it bad in the cab of the truck too. Injector data entered, MAF calibrated using wideband (not hooked up in log), and motor doesn't stall. It will even recover from a rev at idle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    On Truck Now Beta12.hpt19-04-13 20-39-57.hpl

I don't think spark advance is your issue. It is totally normal to see very fast spark changes during idle. The PCM can change spark much faster than it can the throttle, so it goes there first to keep idle steady.

Those PI controller settings aren't going to affect spark, or your idle.

Cams reduce idle quality. That definitely plays a part. I would try bumping your idle rpm up to 900 and see if it smooths out.