Thread: Identifying what year L86 I have

Potential Tuner

Identifying what year L86 I have

I bought a pullout L86 with 8l90, ECM, TCM, engine/transmission harness and gas pedal. I do not have the vehicle VIN. I can?t find info on how to decipher the laser etched ID numbers on the block. I was told it was from a 2017 Escalade. However, I am seeing a significant difference between the downloadable tunes. 2016 is 2 credits, and 2017 is 4. There must be a difference between them. So, it must be important to know the exact year of the vehicle.

Can anyone steer me in the direction of identifying the actual year. I have the MPVI2 ordered... I am hopeful that the free VCM Suite 4 will tell me the actual VIN.

Advanced Tuner
    you should always make sure all parts are compatible but the credit difference is because gm stepped up there coding game with the ecms now so its harder/more labor to unlock them so hptuners is charging an extra 2 credits now to do so

do you have any vin number? the year will be the 10th letter/number from the left 2017 = H, 2016 = G, 2015 = F for example
    Last edited by TCSS07; 11-17-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    you should always make sure all parts are compatible but the credit difference is because gm stepped up there coding game with the ecms now so its harder/more labor to unlock them so hptuners is charging an extra 2 credits now to do so

do you have any vin number? the year will be the 10th letter/number from the left 2017 = H, 2016 = G, 2015 = F for example
    Unfortunately I don?t have the VIN, that would have made it too easy.

Advanced Tuner
    well when you get the hptuners and read the ecm file - in calibration details in the same row of open,save,close (right next to close) - click it and it will open and will bring up a chart which will tell you the full vin then just match it up to what i posted to get the year
    you also do not need to license a file to read to the ecm - you just cant make changes and save them

I can think of 1 difference between 16 and 17 L86. The high pressure fuel pressure sensors on the back of the fuel rails have 4 terminal plugs on 2016-earlier while 2017-later have 3.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks a ton, I wasn’t sure if the tuner would give me the VIN info or not... I had read about the pressure reg wires, but could only find it once and couldn’t remember where that info waslocated again. If I am looking at the correct spot on the driver rear of the intake between it and the block. It’s Brown w/red, blue w/white and black w/green. That connector has 3 wires.

I don't have wire diagram info with me right now but yes, the sensor screws into the back of the driver's side fuel rail. Sounds like you have a 2017.

What TCSS07 said...

Download the tune from the ECM. And under Edit / Calibration Details will tell you the VIN, the Car model and year.

You only need to spend the credits to modify and re-flash the tune. You can upload as many as you like with out spending a dime.