Thread: A Noob question

Potential Tuner

A Noob question

Hi All,
    Have a 2016 Challenger(6.4L) Scatpack with custom cam, ported heads etc. Naturally aspirated mods. I have a conservative tune on it right now ( 446 WHP at 5700 alt. Denver). Getting an oil cooler in a week or two. How much additional HP can I expect by advancing the timing some.Want to make sure it stays safe. It's a daily driver. I'm not doing the tuning. Just curious what to expect fro final HP.- thanks.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Saluqui View Post
    Hi All,
    Have a 2016 Challenger(6.4L) Scatpack with custom cam, ported heads etc. Naturally aspirated mods. I have a conservative tune on it right now ( 446 WHP at 5700 alt. Denver). Getting an oil cooler in a week or two. How much additional HP can I expect by advancing the timing some.Want to make sure it stays safe. It's a daily driver. I'm not doing the tuning. Just curious what to expect fro final HP.- thanks.
    Anybody? is it too dumb a question?,

Advanced Tuner
    It's a difficult question to answer as you are at a higher elevation and no 2 engines produce the same amount of power even if they have identical tunes/mods. There are a lot of variables. Some engines can tolerate a little more timing and some don't.

Advanced Tuner
    It's just such an open-ended question with no way to give an accurate answer to, especially when nobody even knows how much timing you're currently giving it. And as said above, no 2 engines will ever respond identically with all the variations in atmospheric conditions, modifications, and variations in tolerances, driving habits and maintenance (which may adversely affect wear and tear/powertrain health).

Basically, we could answer the question by saying, as little as 0 gains to as much as maybe a 20 HP gain. Really just depends on where you're at right now, and how much "some timing" is.

Also, the octane of the fuel you're running will become a huge limiting factor as to how much you can gain from timing, as you'll likely never reach MBT on pump gas.

Advanced Tuner
    Wait you said you are getting an oil cooler? Don't the scat packs already come with an oil cooler? It's the 5.7s that don't come with an oil cooler standard. Or do you mean you are upgrading to charged air cooling?
    Last edited by Homer; 08-13-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Wait you said you are getting an oil cooler? Don't the scat packs already come with an oil cooler? It's the 5.7s that don't come with an oil cooler standard. Or do you mean you are upgrading to charged air cooling?
    Yes, they have one but my tuner doesn't want to tune for more HP without an air cooled type. I'll have a Hellcat adapter and a cooler mounted in front of the radiator. The stock oil coolers are coolant cooled.