Thread: Best tuning software

Potential Tuner

Best tuning software

Guys, I am new to the tuning world got some questions I have a 1999 Tahoe 5.7 vortec I am trying to turn off the vats does HP tuning offer something like this along the same lines I am doing an ls swap on a 1994 silverado 5.3 engine I need something that I can turn the vats off and tune as well on both applications...I was looking at the jegs 14005 programmer but I heard great things about hp tuners so help me out

Yes it can disable VATS of nearly all the LS stuff, not sure on the 5.7 vortec stuff but it may be similar.

This software can tune both of those style computer too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    You CAN disable vats on the black box pcm. Hptuners only supports the 98+ black box. I recommend a pcm swap to the p01 pcm better known as the 411 swap. If your going to legitimately tune the pcm, the 411 is ten fold better than the black box.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleblu View Post
    You CAN disable vats on the black box pcm. Hptuners only supports the 98+ black box. I recommend a pcm swap to the p01 pcm better known as the 411 swap. If your going to legitimately tune the pcm, the 411 is ten fold better than the black box.

Potential Tuner
    What do you mean 98+ black box

Potential Tuner
    So will the hp tuner disable the vats on a 1999 tahoe 5.7 vortec

That's what the vortec computer are called. They just call them the black box, I think they are supported from 1998-2000 in the trucks with the 5.0/5.7.

They aren't as good of computers as the LS based controllers from the 99+ trucks. P01's or what we call the 411's from the service number on them.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    So which hp tuner do I need to purchase to accomplish removing vats off 1999 tahoe and also tuning a ls swap 5.3

The HP Tuners your purchase is all the same, it's just what credits you want to have it come with. It's up to you if you want the Standard or the Pro version. I suggest you buy the Pro version because it makes using external sensors like a wideband o2 sensor much eaiser.

Put it this way, if you want to tune GM cars buy the one with GM credits because if you bought the Ford/Dodge one you'd shoot yourself in the foot because now you'd have 8 credits that you can't use on GM vehicles and would have to purchase additional credits just to do what you want.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The HP Tuners your purchase is all the same, it's just what credits you want to have it come with. It's up to you if you want the Standard or the Pro version. I suggest you buy the Pro version because it makes using external sensors like a wideband o2 sensor much eaiser.

Put it this way, if you want to tune GM cars buy the one with GM credits because if you bought the Ford/Dodge one you'd shoot yourself in the foot because now you'd have 8 credits that you can't use on GM vehicles and would have to purchase additional credits just to do what you want.
    Yes I want to only tune GM cars so if buy the pro version will it allow me to disable vats on a 1999 tahoe 5.7 and I will be able to tune and disable vats on a 5.3 ls swap

If you read this thread those questions have already been answered. Even do your own homework if you have to, search the forum if you want more than 2 opinions.

The answer is YES you can disable VATS on both.