Thread: Whipple MAF Readings for 3.625" and Stock Lower '15 Mustang

Senior Tuner

Whipple MAF Readings for 3.625" and Stock Lower '15 Mustang

What kind of lb/min MAF readings are guys typically seeing for this combo of stock lower, 3.625" upper? I am concerned I have some boost leak somewhere, mostly because of rough cold starts (first 20 seconds is pretty rough while it sits in OL, indicating probably a vacuum leak, unmetered air) then once goes into CL it gets normal. Also seems a bit light on power in general.

Attached is a log I posted earlier of a 2nd and 3rd gear pull. From what I am getting feedback on the forums is 80's lb/min readings are more common, I barely clip 78 lb/min at 7300-7400 rpms.

Stock Whipple_Headers Tune 2 wt.hpl

The load is low and should be higher. I would expect loads in the 1.8-1.9 range in 3rd or 4th. I agree with you that it is losing boost somewhere. I am more familiar with PD blowers than twin screws, but the Whipple is more efficient than your normal TVS so should be showing more load, especially in 3rd or higher gears. I see loads of 1.8+ with my 2012 TVS car, when boost is around 10-11 PSI and MAF readings hover around 79-80 Lbs/min. Yours should be higher.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Senior Tuner
    Thanks, guess I gotta boost leak this b!tch haha.

Now to figure out how to do it, plugging this 132MM throttle body is going to be interesting.

Senior Tuner
    Stupid question tho, would I really see lower MAF readings from a boost leak? In the end I would think its easier for the blower to move the air and therefore I would see HIGHER MAF readings? I guess if it was a pre-rotor, post MAF sensor (i.e. unmetered air) then it would be a lower MAF since its sourcing air from elsewhere besides where the MAF sensor is seeing it, but if it is post-rotor (i.e. a boost leak) wouldn't I see higher MAF readings?

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Stupid question tho, would I really see lower MAF readings from a boost leak? In the end I would think its easier for the blower to move the air and therefore I would see HIGHER MAF readings? I guess if it was a pre-rotor, post MAF sensor (i.e. unmetered air) then it would be a lower MAF since its sourcing air from elsewhere besides where the MAF sensor is seeing it, but if it is post-rotor (i.e. a boost leak) wouldn't I see higher MAF readings?
    I am more concerned about your load readings. In 3rd at 7K RPM, you should be exceeding 1.8 load (volumetric efficiency). 1.8 load would equate to around 11-12 PSI (possibly more with a twin-screw). Get your boost gauge installed and see what it reveals.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

Senior Tuner
    Will do, but load is just a byproduct/calculation of the SD part of the tune coupled with the MAF reading. So the only variable of my Whippled car versus another whippled car is the MAF readings at the same given rpm. The SD part of the Whipple tune should be the same for everyone 2015-2017 running their tune. So basically we are agreeing my MAF for given RPM is lower than it should be, which results also in a lower than normal load.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Will do, but load is just a byproduct/calculation of the SD part of the tune coupled with the MAF reading. So the only variable of my Whippled car versus another whippled car is the MAF readings at the same given rpm. The SD part of the Whipple tune should be the same for everyone 2015-2017 running their tune. So basically we are agreeing my MAF for given RPM is lower than it should be, which results also in a lower than normal load.
    Correct. Was the car ever dynoed when it was NA?
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

Senior Tuner
    Never dynod, lots of logs tho.

Senior Tuner
    Too many factors to compare these calculated values. If injector data is off it will even cause you to have to put a higher or lower than realistic value in the MAF table and mess this calculation up for example. Fuel pressure at the rail being different than the tune expects messes with things too. What are your actual MAF period numbers and do they fall off. If you see a drop at higher RPM with a blower you might have some belt slip.

Senior Tuner
    This is an unmolested whipple tune, using their supplied 72lb injectors. Can't log MAF period, not a PID currently

Senior Tuner
    Did a smoke check, zero leaks anywhere. Did notice the bypass holds boost but not vacuum, so could explain the hanging throttle I have a bit as the bypass doesn't hang open quite as easy.