Thread: After Cam tuning. How am i doing?

After Cam tuning. How am i doing?

Just finished Cam install. Brian Tooley comp cam. Installed dual comp valve springs, pushrods, trunion upgrade.

cam specs: LS1/2 Stage II Cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2

I dialed in the MAF. I have not tried doing the whole speed density tune yet. I enabled SD tuning and it runs super rich. Also Im not sure how to make changes to the VE table with what im getting from the histograms i am logging. Plus it seems like i need to change the VE before i drive in SD mode. It does not run well at all and around 10.5:1 AFR.

So ive copied and pasted VE and spark tables from a similar tune setup on the repository.

Ive also logged some light driving. Experienced some knock but only a couple degrees. I have DFCO turned off on this Log. can someone please look at the tune and log and give me any advice please?

I wanna go fast!

PS it is an 04 GTO engine and t56 swapped into a RX7 fc. cam 1 idle fix with repository ve and spark.hptcam wth repository ve and spark.hpl

Attached Files Attached Files

Never ever use tunes from repository, they are 99 percent garbage, you posted proof yet again.
    Persistence is the key to success

well shit. So I am going to start doing the SD tune. I have turned off all of the controls that will interfere with it. I have a VE error histogram setup on my scanner. when i get the numbers from some light drives do i just copy paste multiply by % to my VE and just smooth it out a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickatina7 View Post
    well shit. So I am going to start doing the SD tune. I have turned off all of the controls that will interfere with it. I have a VE error histogram setup on my scanner. when i get the numbers from some light drives do i just copy paste multiply by % to my VE and just smooth it out a bit?
    Nope, never copy and paste based on error percentage. Idk why that logic floats around everywhere on the internet. You see it's 5 - 7 percent lean in an area, you adjust that area with logic based on the results. You end up with accurate results and a nice smooth VE.

People who do as you say end up with the VE looking much like the one you downloaded from the repository.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    cam 1 idle fix with repository ve and spark SD MODE.hpt

i would never use MAF on these/PCM's swaps
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 10SecSleeper View Post
    Nope, never copy and paste based on error percentage. Idk why that logic floats around everywhere on the internet. You see it's 5 - 7 percent lean in an area, you adjust that area with logic based on the results. You end up with accurate results and a nice smooth VE.

People who do as you say end up with the VE looking much like the one you downloaded from the repository.
    Oh really? You're the first to say not use the copy paste multiply method. I do notice when I do that, I can never get closer than 1-3%. What do you recommend then? Adding or pulling fuel in the cells needed and not using the copy and paste? Interesting.

Apologies for hijacking, I am new to the tuning world as well and just like reading and learning.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I suspect he meant straight copy/paste 100% not copy/paste x50%, which is reasonable to get somewhere close... (imho) - and yes, again imho, you won't get closer than around 1-3% like that, after that it's down to using your brain...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    Well, I suspect he meant straight copy/paste 100% not copy/paste x50%, which is reasonable to get somewhere close... (imho) - and yes, again imho, you won't get closer than around 1-3% like that, after that it's down to using your brain...
    Ok thank you!

Ok guys so I set up speed density mode and simulated MAF failure. I disabled DFCO and many other things that will mess with my numbers for now. I have been using the fuel trim math histogram to get plus or minus fail numbers to paste/multiply into the VE table. I also started with the VE table a bit higher that stock so I wouldnt experience anything lean right off the bat.

Its all going good. I went cruising and got a lot of negative numbers at first. Ive since used those and applied them to the VE table. Ive been somewhat smoothing the peaks out but nothing too crazy. It seems like its getting there. AFR is looking good and STFT isnt going too excessive.

My question is should I totally disable power enrichment? and when is it safe to start getting into higher rpms?

My main concern!!!!!!---------I am experiencing 5 degrees of knock retard at light throttle up a hill and some times at half throttle in 5th gear. Should I be concerned??? Should I scale down the spark table some?

Here is my last log of a light drive home and my latest tune file.

Trying to upload the files now but its not letting me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    Not at all what I meant lol.

I never use the copy and paste method, there's no need for it. You can manually adjust the table more accurately, faster and end up with a better result.