Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LS1 wont start with Speed density tune

I had some issues with my PCM so i ended up getting another one and swapped it out. car was running ok with a MAF tune but the fuel trims were way off. So this time i decided to go back to the speed density tune. First go at it, motor fired right up and it seemed promising, it was idling OK but as soon as it got up to operating temp, it started idling erratic and would eventually die. I want to go out and take the car for a drive to tune the VE tables but not if the car can't idle right.

I was hoping to get some help with this. Just seems like every time i try and do SD tuning the motor absolutely runs like crap and i can't even get it on the road for a drive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I noticed your reported A/F ratio is dead flat, which isn't normal. Does it work ok?? It should vary quite considerably when you e.g. blip the throttle...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    I noticed your reported A/F ratio is dead flat, which isn't normal. Does it work ok?? It should vary quite considerably when you e.g. blip the throttle...
    Yeah my wideband is definitely working. its a AFR 500 which is about a month old, and just prior to that SD tune you saw it was working fine. So huh. Weird. check out the MAF tune i did just before loading up the SD tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The wideband is logging just fine, It's just the car is idling very lean, leaner then the wideband can report. Which is likely causing quite the rough idle. It's very much easy to fix though. Just knowing the basics about VE tuning.
    Persistence is the key to success

what would the experts do to dial in the VE

I was able to fix up the idle on my car to make it driveable. Weird thing is that at idle id be looking at my AFR error log, then coping to the primary/sec VE table by multiplying. I did that a few times and as though the AFR on the wb never really went down. Still reading above 15AFR. So i did log some more at idle, made some more changes, then put the car in drive just to see if it would die or not. it didnt, woohoo, went for a short drive around the neighborhood and everything seemed ok. but still it was running really lean. Added some more to VE tables and it was decent but still reading 15 AFR +. So at this point car is idling and driving ok.

took the car for a drive and kept the RPMs below 4K and tried not to go into PE mode and populate the cells as much as possible. I shifting the trans from 1-2, 2-3,3-D. So after about 10-15 mins or so of driving the car was having a hard time trying to idle. and when it accelerating it would feel like the motor was bogged down then bam it hit the PE and power. Now i only had the PE enable set to 2500 RPM. Towards the end of scan log #6 below the car as hard to idle and eventually died.

So my question is am i using the right table to multiply to the VE tables, the AFR error in the log?, then smoothing the surrounding cells? How would the experts interpret this data. Always down to learn something. Thanks in advance