Thread: LS2 Timing - How much at WOT? Any suggestions?

Advanced Tuner

Question LS2 Timing - How much at WOT? Any suggestions?

I'll be taking my car to the track tomorrow and plan on doing some minor tuning, mostly with timing at WOT.

A few guys were telling me that 18-20 degrees of timing was too little at WOT. For some reason that is were my tuner set it at. Maybe do to the reason it as 94 degrees outside that day and knock was present.

Anyway, what timing are most LS2's running at WOT? And, what is the best way to tune this at the track? I was planning on increasing timing by 1 degree at a time across the board in the scanner and using the histograms to look for knock, then increasing timing in the cells that did not show any knock in the editor. Would this be fine?? I'm a newbie at tuning, so any help would be great. Any other tips, recommendations while I'm at the track?

Here is my timing table

And here is one of my logs.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/attach...1&d=1147945368
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

MY FQUICK - http://www.fquick.com/cyclone_chris

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

Advanced Tuner
    Back in the days of carbs, you'd bump up a degree or tow at a time and then check the mph on your timeslip. (Or so I've heard... I'm still under 30.) Since you can check for knock, I'd do as you suggested until your mph drops off. That means you've passed the horsepower peak. Back it back down and that's it.
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

Advanced Tuner
    So what amount of timing are you running in your motor at WOT?
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

MY FQUICK - http://www.fquick.com/cyclone_chris

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

Advanced Tuner
    I just got my HPT last week so I haven't had a chance to do more than a couple of logging sessions. Sorry I can't help more right now.

Tuner
    27 to 28* is good with a 160*stat spliting hairs after that.

watch out for the 4400 to 5200 range around .70 to .84 cells, can't go much above stock here or where your peak torque is. but raise everywhere else around it. ramp up to the area of close to peak timing smoothly slide down few *'s then smoothly slide back up to max timing. Smoothly now. not jagged!!

this torque dip timing theroy, can be at times hotly debated at times

but I see your running headers, so maybe able to more.
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]