Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installed 102mm TB and now cannot idle, and needs throttle to start...Help?

I have tried all availabe suggestions, and none of them, NONE did much if any at all to help it start & idle, without pedal intervention.

THe car ran perfectly fine, prior to this ERL 102 TB, I am convinced it looks indeed to be junk!!!

Now the million dollar question is whether I bite the bullet to buy an NW102, or stay with my 90mm?

Senior Tuner
    Just a hunch...pull a LOT of spark out of the idle...I just tried to make my car idle with 17 degrees and it won't...it just flat out dies...less spark requires more airflow, might just be what you need with the 102mm TB.

The stock tune in your car ran 13 degrees at idle, try that...my cammed LS3 is happy there.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Thx Mike! I will give that a go!

Likely my last ditch effort in getting this to work with the 102, I have already ordered a reduction coupler to connect the Superbee Bridge to my 90mm tb....

Advanced Tuner
    if it was present a tune with efilive i might try with a writeentire at least one time. i might start from a stock tune first

Quote Originally Posted by ingsteve View Post
    if it was present a tune with efilive i might try with a writeentire at least one time. i might start from a stock tune first
    I had done exactly that! More than 1x.....and still the same exact results!

The idle timing seems to hold some promise. We'll see what it bears when I have a chance to try, likely not till tomorrow.

Senior Tuner
    It doesn't sound as angry at 13 degrees with the 102 as it did at 17 with the 90...but it idles. If it works you'll need to smooth that into the main advance table carefully too though, otherwise the low advance at idle and high advance everywhere else will make the car very very touchy off idle...RPM will want to jump with just a little bit of throttle angle.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Well, I adjusted it down to 14. And it behaves much the same, but I did see that the timing advance was only at 4.5-6 degrees, not the 14 I was commanding?

the scalar is something that you can calculate and on the E38s the math will work out correctly....

I've never had issues with it...

I would suggest you start adding a lot to the startup airflow and add to the idle overspeed startup airflow time about 2 or 3 secs... so the car can transition to idle slowly....

be sure to check that your fueling is somewhat ok for that region. It could be the car stalls for other reasons other than the TB.

Advanced Tuner
    Lol I like the end result here.