Thread: Magnuson 5.3L Tune

Tuner in Training

Magnuson 5.3L Tune

I have a 2010 Tahoe 5.3L with a Magnuson TVS 1900 kit at 6psi (3.7" pulley). I have been running on Magnason's tune for about 9 months now, and while it runs ok I knew there was room for improvement, therefore I now have HP Tuners. I read the tune last night and noticed they have disabled VE Tables over 1000 rpm, therefore I am running in MAF only mode. Magnuson didn't make any changes to MAF calibration or VE coefficients. The Maggie kit came with injectors, GM 12613412 (I think this matches a stock 6.0L), and while they did change some tables regarding the injectors, I see another thread referring to Injector Flow Rate table raping.

Pulled the approximate points from HP Tuners table:
    Stock 5.3L Tune---------32.5 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi (3 bar), 37.5 lb/hr @ 58 psi (4 bar)
    Magnacharger Tune-----39 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi (3 bar), 43 lb/hr @ 58 psi (4 bar)
    Stock 6.0L Tune---------43 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi (3 bar), 50 lb/hr @ 58 psi (4 bar)

Another thing I noticed is the PE TPS Enable = 5% across the board, while stock is 87%. Does this mean with throttle above 5% I am dumping all that fuel? I am assuming they did this to correct for a lean spike or something?

I have a dynojet wide-band that I will install soon, so I am just trying to get my game plan ready. I don't really know where I am going to start with this. My initial thought is to use the 6.0L injector tables and then tune MAF table and leave it in MAF only mode, possibly adding VE tables back later. Also make necessary adjustments to the 6L80 tune and ensure TQ management is where it should be.

I can post the file if someone is willing to help me.
    I am trying to be cautious because this is my everyday driver.
    Any help is appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    I just went through the same thing with my 2011 sierra 5.3 @ 9psi. Magnuson uses the ifr raping to compensate for an untouched maf table. I installed zr1 injectors and use data from a stock calibration and my trims swung 15% lean. And yes, they do have pe enabled nearly all the time. I got terrible fuel mileage with the maggie tune. I have been working my tune over quite a bit with a wideband. It is fairly nailed down except for transient fueling swings and part throttle boost due my truck having a lift and oversize tires. Also, my tranny tune is fairly impressive, however some of my shifts are a tad too firm. I plan to retouch them in the next few days. I'll post my tune up tomorrow when I have access to my laptop for you to browse through. On a side note, if you plan to stay low boost with the supplied injectors, if you can confirm the p/n on the maggie supplied injectors and find a oem tune using those injectors, you could copy the data and then redial in your maf table for the correct afr. Having injector and maf tables dialed in is critical for proper airmass calcs and tranny tuning. I have the maggie supplied injectors laying in my shop. Ill look for a pn on them tomorrow for you. But I can tell you first hand there is alot to be left on the table with the maggie tune. They also run their tune pig rich at wot. Rich enough to max out the supplied injectors with their tune, yet the injectors are plenty for a tune with proper ifr and maf tabling.

Tuner in Training
    That will be great, I think seeing your tune will help a good bit.

The injectors listed in my first post are the Magnuson supplied ones (12613412). I think it makes since that you were 15% lean based on the stock 6.0L tune (which I think those injectors match) having a 15% higher injector flow rate than Magnuson's tune. Magnuson must just underate the injectors so the computer thinks the injectors are smaller.

Did you stay MAF only? If so, have you thought of doing the Bluecat program to make the VE coefficients, or are you happy with MAF only?

I am getting pretty bad fuel mileage also, that's another reason I want to get this changed. I put 24s (tires: 285/35R24) on the Tahoe at the same time, but I am hoping most of my fuel mileage is because of the Maggie tune that I will replace.

As for tranny, I was going to take a look at one of Russ K's tunes I saw on here, but it will be helpful to see your tables's too.

Tuner in Training
    After starting over, this is what I am running right now. I am now using the stock 6.0L injector calibration. Still work to do. I am still in MAF only and have not mapped my own table yet.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

SilverBullet, if you can upload your file, or send it to me, I would love to take a look.

Homebuilt_Tahoe_AS1.hpt