Thread: Tuning Clarification

Tuner in Training

Tuning Clarification

I'm earning my "junior tuner" status.....

I'm still having some confusion with the MAF calibration. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

1. After making the last adjustment to the VE table, I need to Reset Fuel Trims and Turn On trim learning to do a final logging check run, and to get the PCM to learn from the correct VE table.
    2. After verifying the trims are properly set, I drive for a while to give the trims time to properly learn.
    3. When beginning to do the MAF calibration, I plug the MAF in, set the MAF Fail to 0-Hz, and then I can do the next logging run. The MAF needs to be plugged in so that the freq can be logged for the calibration.
    4. Since the fuel trims are already set and learned, I do not reset fuel trims, nor turn on trim learning for the MAF calibration.
    5. Then, I adjust the MAF using the tools available.

I think that hopefully covers what I need to do for the MAF calibration.

After that, I will look at the Knock Retard, PE, and then the AFR.

Thanks to all of the other tuning afecionados out there with the help.....
    Havalanche
    2005 Avalanche Z71
    5.3L 3.42 Gears CAI 3" Flowmaster
    6" Pro-Comp Lift 35x12.50x17

1. After making the last adjustment to the VE table, I need to Reset Fuel Trims and Turn On trim learning to do a final logging check run, and to get the PCM to learn from the correct VE table.
    Correct

2. After verifying the trims are properly set, I drive for a while to give the trims time to properly learn.
    Correct

3. When beginning to do the MAF calibration, I plug the MAF in, set the MAF Fail to 0-Hz, and then I can do the next logging run. The MAF needs to be plugged in so that the freq can be logged for the calibration.
    MAF Fail Frequency should be stock to tune the MAF.

4. Since the fuel trims are already set and learned, I do not reset fuel trims, nor turn on trim learning for the MAF calibration.
    If you make a second run on the MAF you will want to reset the trims.

5. Then, I adjust the MAF using the tools available.
    Correct: If you are using wideband then use AFR Error% to adjust the MAF (Multiply by %) IF you are using VE Trims then you use the same adjustment method (Multiply by %)
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks.....
    Havalanche
    2005 Avalanche Z71
    5.3L 3.42 Gears CAI 3" Flowmaster
    6" Pro-Comp Lift 35x12.50x17

Tuner in Training
    5.Which table do you adjust and which histogram do you look at/log?
    2000 Trans Am A4 with 3.42 gears SLP(lid, cold air, 85mm mass air flow sensor, LS6 intake), MSD wires, long tube headers, off road y pipe with o2 sims, 3 inch full exhaust with a flowmaster and stock tips.

MAF Airflow vs Output Frequency

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!