Thread: removed Catalytic converter

Tuner in Training

removed Catalytic converter

I removed the Catalytic converter on my 2000 Blazer w/4.3 engine. Is there anything you do to the stock program?
    Scot
    Last edited by scot1; 10-21-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Tuner in Training

Blazer tune

Here is the file for this 2000 Blazer. Cat removed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Most cats are not that restrictive, you gain like 8-9HP. But your airflow will change, so you will need to make changes to your VE accordingly. Get a wideband to see whats going on, and maybe post where you live and maybe someone close by can be a mentor for you.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    Most cats are not that restrictive, you gain like 8-9HP. But your airflow will change, so you will need to make changes to your VE accordingly.
    I agree X10. I have a 92 Crown Victoria (V8) that has been upgraded from single exhaust to dual w/ Mac Pro Chamber (crossover or H-section) and had 4 convertors punched out. Honestly if any HP was gained, it was hardly even noticable. I was very disapointed to say the least. Hilarously enough though, I've simply tweaked the tune on an otherwise stock 3.1 Malibu (V6) and it can throw down and sometimes even beat euro cars of simaler displacement! The seat of the pants feel will instantly surprise anyone riding shotgun in my car that has previously owned one of theese things. And it's definately gotta suck when you paid for a nice pimp edition BMW and it can't even whup the "Good Housekeeping 2001 Middleclass Mom Car of The Decade" into submission.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 10-22-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Tuner in Training

wide bandsensor

Can you recomend a reasonable priced wide band.

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    Most cats are not that restrictive, you gain like 8-9HP. But your airflow will change, so you will need to make changes to your VE accordingly. Get a wideband to see whats going on, and maybe post where you live and maybe someone close by can be a mentor for you.
    So if "most" standard cats make less than 1 psi of backpressue why would you have to change the tune? How is the airflow changing?? The car is not taking in more air.

That makes no sense.

Depending on the make of the vehicle and what kinda of cat diagnotics is in the PCM, you can just shut the codes off with putting them to no report or use another method to keep the PCM happy.

A wideband is a good investment if you are trying to gain power from the motor with mods so you can see what is going on.

A "good" wideband will cost you around 225-250.

I beileve there is a thread on here somewhere that has some good info on which ones are good to buy and which ones are not very accurate like AEM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training

blazer

Thank you for your words in advance. The Blazer lost a catalystic converter. I took it out & ever since then it hasn't ran well & has gotton bad gas milage. I know its got a new spider injection so i was just thought it was running rich because i removed the cat.
    I will go back and scan for codes.
    Scot

I bet its throwing a cat code because well its not there and the PCM see's that and tells it to add more fuel to see if it can help.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.