Thread: Tuning VE Cells hits required??

Tuning VE Cells hits required??

I satart tuning my VE and im wondering how many cells hits should i insert for the part throttle tuning?

I'm asking becasue i insert 50 cells hits and did't hit to many, then i insert 5 cells hits and got more hits

Tuner in Training
    I'd go with 20 minimum. The more the better.
    98 Trans Am, M6, 3.90's, Lid, Z06 MAF, LS6 intake, EGR & AIR delete, ARH LT's & ORY, Magnaflow CB, & a little giggle gas.
    I got 98 problems, but Vtec ain't one.

^ Yep.. As many as possible. Remember, it's almost an average.10 would only be 10 samples of data. 500 would be 500 samples saying you're 10% rich.. etc etc.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

So why at 50 cells hits i was not hitting that many?
    Went to 5 cells hits and hit more.

Because when you set up your histograms, the setting you are talking about means you have to hit the cell that amount of times BEFORE it will record anything. So if you set it up for 50, it means that cell must have registered data 50 times before it will record any info into the cell. The reason you would want to change this would be to eliminate stray data points (getting only one hit) which might screw data. Take a look at your histograms and you will see the at the top the letters A L C. Click on C (counts) and it will show how many times data was available for a particular cell. The hardest cells to hit with any consistency are at WOT and ranges outside of cruise. I set my Cell Hits required for 2 or 4, then drive on roads where I can speed up and slow down to populate as many cells as possible. One method is to reach an RPM, (ie 1500rpm) then use your brake while stepping on the gas to maintain that RPM without speeding up. It will allow you to fill that RPM range of cells for the different KPAs. Keep doing this for each different RPM range. Give the brakes a rest though once in awhile or they will heat up really fast.

^ Ah. I think I mis-understood the original question. That sums it up a bit more. I still have the scanner set for the factory specs.

Good tip with the brakes too. My HPS pads never wear out, so this will give me an excuse to do it.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

Cool idea. Never thought about using the brakes to add load to help fill the VE table.
    1993 Mazda RX-7 R1
    LS1/T56, EPS 230/238 + PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads
    10.825 @ 129, 1.58 60ft

2004 Mazda RX-8
    LS1/T56 "Family Burnout Machine"

Tpcaz Thats a good idea i was wondering how to hit the cells down the rpm's.

Advanced Tuner
    Brake trick works fine with a manual or a lock up verter. Us guys with th350/400/pg trans with big loose verters, well, it don't help much When I had the 80E in it, I would lock it in 2nd with the verter locked and do just that.

Glad I could help. Could probably do the same thing on a dyno if there was one willing to take the time.

I did have time to try it out, but i will try it with my old school silverado that im almost going to turn on, Its a 89 silverado with a cammed Ls1.

The one that i wideband im trying to smooth it out, Im fighting on how to smooth out.

Like the cells from 1600 to 4000 rpms i got them all to 50 55 kpa, now from 55 to 90 kpa its where i get lost.