Thread: 2009 g8 gt help

Tuner in Training

Question 2009 g8 gt help

Im trying to tune my g8 but i belive im missing a few things. to start off the car has longtubes,varram intake,cam 222 226 596 598 115+3,and no cats. before i added the cam it ran a 12.9 @109 with the cam i ran 13.1@107 60foots the same 2.0. it seems to be making more power from the sound of tires squeeling well past 90mph. my wideband took a dump but the last time i was able to check the a/f was anywhere from 12.4 to 12.8. i realy need help with the spark table i just cant grasp what to do any help would be appreciated. sorry for my punctuation and grammar its late and im tired.

You might be able to benefit from more timing, but you honestly don't look that far off. Were the track/weather conditions vastly different between the before and after runs?

Tuner in Training
    yes the weather was alot different the 12.9 without the cam was in the winter it was atleast in the 70s. with the cam it has been in the 80s with 90% hummidty. Would a rich a/f ratio slow my trap speed? to me the mph seems low

Tuner in Training
    just a question, but how does the transmission do with shift times set at 0 for everything?

More timing down low would help some. Didn't look at your log, but how's you fuel trims? MAF may need some work. It could be too aggressive for that cam since your STFT's are going to be jumping around like beans in a microwave....
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewo View Post
    just a question, but how does the transmission do with shift times set at 0 for everything?
    It shifts pretty good nice and quick but its a lil to harsh.it uses another table for the shift times thats why i zeroed that table out. i got that from the tuning school.

my fuel trims cruising are withn -3 +3 but i dont have a wideband at the moment to check wot i think its rich up top. ill add some timing down low and see how it likes it thank you for the help IDRIVEAG8GT

Advanced Tuner
    More timing doesn't mean more power, you had 4.6* KR in the first log by 5200rpm.
    zero out the PE/COT spark table, flash the tune.
    then do a 3rd gear WOT pull in manual mode, from 1500-2000rpm, all the way to redline. look if you had KR and adjust accordingly.
    Your engine would run better at 12.2-12.5, so get a WB and fix the fuel.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    More timing doesn't mean more power, you had 4.6* KR in the first log by 5200rpm.
    zero out the PE/COT spark table, flash the tune.
    then do a 3rd gear WOT pull in manual mode, from 1500-2000rpm, all the way to redline. look if you had KR and adjust accordingly.
    Your engine would run better at 12.2-12.5, so get a WB and fix the fuel.
    I cant find the pe/cot spark table, so these motors run better on the richer side when i get the wb ill see if that helps thank you

if you are spinning well past 90mph then you could be slower in the 1/4 mile.

Oh wow, guess I should've looked at the logs first! :O What octane were you running? That amount of KR is scary. I'd adjust accordingly on your tune and make it use both the High Octane and Low Octane tables to accommodate plausible differences in the quality of fuel. Timing does make vast differences where you can get away with it, Such as correcting some cases of misfire and will provide torque gains and you can tell if you're doing a good job by the amount of carbon at the exhaust tips. The L76, as I've quoted before, is pretty touchy when it comes to timing and fuel. Oh, and not to put this subject off topic, but when you cammed your G8 did you install a Non-DOD valley cover?
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Oh wow, guess I should've looked at the logs first! :O What octane were you running? That amount of KR is scary. I'd adjust accordingly on your tune and make it use both the High Octane and Low Octane tables to accommodate plausible differences in the quality of fuel. Timing does make vast differences where you can get away with it, Such as correcting some cases of misfire and will provide torque gains and you can tell if you're doing a good job by the amount of carbon at the exhaust tips. The L76, as I've quoted before, is pretty touchy when it comes to timing and fuel. Oh, and not to put this subject off topic, but when you cammed your G8 did you install a Non-DOD valley cover?
    Im using 93 with ethonal mix its all we have. The timing table im using in that scan and tune is a smoothed stock file im just geting started on it thats why there is kr,i didnt like the way my other one was lookn so im starting from scratch.. yes i did install a non dod cover the car idles like stock you can barly hear the cam but if i remove some timing and lower the idle you can hear it
    hows that maggie workin out? i got some prices for all the parts i need to turbo this thing and the only thing holding me back is how long the car will be down.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan 956 View Post
    Im using 93 with ethonal mix its all we have. The timing table im using in that scan and tune is a smoothed stock file im just geting started on it thats why there is kr,i didnt like the way my other one was lookn so im starting from scratch.. yes i did install a non dod cover the car idles like stock you can barly hear the cam but if i remove some timing and lower the idle you can hear it
    hows that maggie workin out? i got some prices for all the parts i need to turbo this thing and the only thing holding me back is how long the car will be down.
    93 Octane, 12* of timing, KR? I run 90 octane and don't ever get KR at 14* down low, but then again I will only run Shell gas in it. Baseline 50* and 15*-21* WOT I think would be ideal for your L76 with 93 Octane. Thanks for the info. I'm ordering a custom MTI .617/.624 with a 114LSA for my G8, and I needed to know if the cover was necessary for cam swappage. Apparently if you don't change it you get oil seepage Sure I may lose a little boost but I like that rowdy idle. And to be honest the Maggie is the way to go! It's a powerhouse adder, easy to tune with, and driver friendly, (until the boost valve shuts) I installed the whole kit in 10 hours by myself. So if you've got the tools and can follow directions, go with a Maggie! But that's just my opinion.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    93 Octane, 12* of timing, KR? I run 90 octane and don't ever get KR at 14* down low, but then again I will only run Shell gas in it. Baseline 50* and 15*-21* WOT I think would be ideal for your L76 with 93 Octane. Thanks for the info. I'm ordering a custom MTI .617/.624 with a 114LSA for my G8, and I needed to know if the cover was necessary for cam swappage. Apparently if you don't change it you get oil seepage Sure I may lose a little boost but I like that rowdy idle. And to be honest the Maggie is the way to go! It's a powerhouse adder, easy to tune with, and driver friendly, (until the boost valve shuts) I installed the whole kit in 10 hours by myself. So if you've got the tools and can follow directions, go with a Maggie! But that's just my opinion.
    Me and my dad run a shop we do mainly diesel work but we get some gas work also.. i did the cam swap in 7ish hours i can get you a printout from alldata if you need anything.. does the maggie have bad heat soak? and yes the cover is needed the new one has a pcv routing like the ls2 its a little bit beter than the stock l76

Quote Originally Posted by Alan 956 View Post
    Me and my dad run a shop we do mainly diesel work but we get some gas work also.. i did the cam swap in 7ish hours i can get you a printout from alldata if you need anything.. does the maggie have bad heat soak? and yes the cover is needed the new one has a pcv routing like the ls2 its a little bit beter than the stock l76
    7 hours? That's not bad for having to pull the heads and all that junk for lifter changes. My major things are going to be getting the crank pulley off and on again in the car, and dropping the tranny for a torque converter. The Maggies get a little warm on top, but I find a lot of people remove the insulation from the hood and then it's pretty much problem solved. The kits for the G8 don't come with injectors so I'd advise getting some ZR1's like I use. And thanks! I will let you know if I need some help. If you get a Maggie, let me know if you need any advice. Oh, also, with the kit for the G8 they send you a drillbit and guide, and make you pin the crankshaft so pulley slippage is eliminated. It's good to have an angled drill if you want to do this without pulling the radiator. (Things I learned the hard way.)

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    the heads are the easy part i droped the oil pump bolt into the pan i had to fish it out with a magnet lol. Make sure you turn off dod before you start it up also otherwise it will try and cruise in 4cyl mode

Heads easy? Huh.... And I always dread that part. Except when I built my dads 427 Stroker, easy as hell And yeah I already had DOD off, since with my Magnaflows it sounds like a rice burner in 4 Cyl. LMAO! But I'm looking forward to the job

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray