Thread: Cant run car without MAF, how to do so?

Tuner in Training

Cant run car without MAF, how to do so?

Well I really want to tune my VE table without the MAF and then once I get it inline, then calibrate my MAF table.

But everytime I try to do this (where I unplug the MAF or set the fail frequency to 0) the car doesnt stay running for more than 10-15secs.

Pressing on the throttle does nothing for me either. How can I go about getting the car to idle as normal without the maf?

Modifications on my 2k2 Z06 are 228/232 .600 112lsa cam, Kooks headers, Magnaflow Xpipe to mufflers, and blackwing.

The previous owner took it to a shop to get it tuned (which obviously the shop did a horrible job because Ive been cleaning up his mess since I got the HPtuners software) but I cant seem to get this MAFless part down. I dont know what to adjust to get the car running without a MAF and just idle and run like normal, just enough so I can drive the car to and back from work while I sample data.

Dixit
    2002 Z06 AFR205cc, Crane 228/232 .600" 112LSA Cam, MAMO-fied FAST intake, MAMO-fied LS2 90mm TB, Kooks LT 1.75" Headers, Magnaflow Xpipe to Straight Pipes, Blackwing Intake. And then about $5k in audio/video

Tuner in Training

Re: Cant run car without MAF, how to do so?

Weird, I never had that problem. Did you try zeroing out the maf table?
    2001 Z28 (slow)

Tuner in Training

So you saying just put in all zeros on the MAF Airflow vs Output Freq table and leave the the MAF connected and dont set the fail hz to 0?

I also thought if I put 0s in the MAF airflow table, it will not go in SD mode, everyone mentions they you must be in SD mode to tune the VE table without the MAF.

If been trying to tune the VE with the MAF but it changes so much that Ive flashed the VCM now 30+ times trying to get the VE table inline that I finally gave up and want to attempt this MAFless tuning of the VE table then calibrate the MAF.

Dixit
    2002 Z06 AFR205cc, Crane 228/232 .600" 112LSA Cam, MAMO-fied FAST intake, MAMO-fied LS2 90mm TB, Kooks LT 1.75" Headers, Magnaflow Xpipe to Straight Pipes, Blackwing Intake. And then about $5k in audio/video

Tuner

if you unplug it zeroing out the fail frequency wont do anything, its the same thing. i prefered unplugging it. is your car an auto? i heard that those have had problemstrying to run without the maf. also did you copy high octane table to the low octane table????
    98 Camaro, M6, HPTuners, heads and cam

Tuner in Training

Yeap copied the spark table over and the car is a 6spd, all Z06s are 6spd, not auto.

Even not copying the spark table wont really be an issue at idle because it would still idle fine and drive except timing would be off.

Im just trying to figure out what on the idle/airflow I need to change to let it know it has a 228/232 cam and airflow is definetely different.

Just wondering if any of the cam cars out there have this problem, if not did they make any changes to any tables to make it run without a MAF.

Dixit

Tuner in Training

So if you unplug the MAF the car will idle for 10-15 seconds then die? Im asumming you just put in that cam? If the car hasn;t been tuned for the cam, try doing this first:
    http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=9
    Then, disconnect the MAF and see if it will run. If not, thenI have no idea, maybe someone more knowledeable will be able to help. ???
    2001 Z28 (slow)

Tuner in Training

Car was tuned with the cam by the previous owner who took it to some tuning shop. But as I noted earlier, doesnt look like he did much, ive been cleaning up his mess for the past 2months using the HPtuners.

All the idle settings are stock aside from raising the idle to 900rpm.

Ive read that LS1tuning.com doc on adjusting for a cam, but alot of it isnt explained too well on what to do to tweak it, too generalized.

Like where he mentions raising IAC Park Position from 40c up to 21. Not sure what that does when some values in my table are 9.00 and im going to be raising them to 21. How do I tweak this?

Now the Idle Airflow vs ECT table is really confusing me, he mentions raising it to 8.6, well I remember in another thread here that table is used to set the STIT and LTITs. Now if I raise to 8.6, then I will be throwing off my STIT and LTITs.

See alot of this helps but at the same time I feel for new people (im sure others feel the same way as I do) like me this is confusing because its not well detailed out on what each table/value does. I wish the help would show what happens if I adjust this value higher or lower, etc. Would be nice for a complete new person to understand it easier. Im not that new to tuning because I used to do alot on Japanese engines like Nissans, but this is a whole new ballgame because im directly modifying the VCM where on Nissans I would be piggybacking everything.

Dixit

Tuner in Training

I only posted that in case you had just installed the cam and it had not been tuned. In your case, ignore the thread I posted above. I really have no idea why your car will not run in SD mode ???
    2001 Z28 (slow)

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Turo
    I only posted that in case you had just installed the cam and it had not been tuned. In your case, ignore the thread I posted above. I really have no idea why your car will not run in SD mode ???
    No no, no ofense taken, Im still going to try that out anyways. Even though I dont know how to tweak those values, I will give that a shot during lunch and see if the car runs in SD mode.

Im just worried on whats its going to do in increasing my IAC Park Position to 21 and IAC airflow to 8.6 when I pretty much had my STIT and LTIT tuned.

Dixit

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Dixit
    No no, no ofense taken, Im still going to try that out anyways. Even though I dont know how to tweak those values, I will give that a shot during lunch and see if the car runs in SD mode.

Im just worried on whats its going to do in increasing my IAC Park Position to 21 and IAC airflow to 8.6 when I pretty much had my STIT and LTIT tuned.

Dixit

I didn't think you had taken offense, I was just nder the impression that your cam had not been tuned. But since it has, what I posted above will probably not work. Good luck though!
    2001 Z28 (slow)