Thread: O2 Sensors Delete?

O2 Sensors Delete?

I am new to this and need help---my son is putting headers and a full catback exhaust on his 2002 Trans Am---it has Catalytic converters but no connections for the 02 sensors behind them----how do you delete them with the HPTuner?
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Tuner in Training

Re: O2 Sensors Delete?

You don't have to delete them, just disable the service engine signal so the light on the dash doesn't drive him nuts.

kw

Well I was told that the car would run like crap if the 02 sensor signal was not deleted from the program? Is that true?
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by coachcrow56
    Well I was told that the car would run like crap if the 02 sensor signal was not deleted from the program? Is that true?
    I may have misunderstood your question.

There should be 4 sensors on this car, 1 in front of each cat and 1 behind.

To be legal you need all four.

If you want the computer to control the fueling you need the sensors in front of the cats. I don't know how you could make the car run without them. Maybe if you switched to a carburator!

The sensors after the cats are used to compare the output of the pre-cat sensors with the output of the post-cat sensors. A difference in the output tells the computer that the cats are working. This isn't needed to run but is needed to pass smog tests.

kw

Anyone know the numbers of the O2 sensors to delete with the HP Tuner?