Thread: 07 Vette C6 with P0606 & P0641 problem

Tuner in Training

07 Vette C6 with P0606 & P0641 problem

On my 2007 Vette C6 6.0L, I get "Reduced Engine Power" along with 2 DTCs :
    P0606 - Control Module Internal Performance
    P0641 - Sensor Reference Voltage A Circuit/Open

So far this only happens after 15 mins or so of hard driving on a road course. They aren't kidding about the Reduced Engine Power - it barely even idles. After shutting it off, it seems to reset and is then back to normal.

I suspected the ported throttle body might be it, so I swapped with the OE, and the problem still exists.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by 07vette; 06-18-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07vette View Post
    On my 2007 Vette C6 6.0L, I get "Reduced Engine Power" along with 2 DTCs :
    P0606 - Control Module Internal Performance
    P0641 - Sensor Reference Voltage A Circuit/Open

So far this only happens after 15 mins or so of hard driving on a road course. They aren't kidding about the Reduced Engine Power - it barely even idles. After shutting it off, it seems to reset and is then back to normal.

I suspected the ported throttle body might be it, so I swapped with the OE, and the problem still exists.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Could be a bad ground etc, but also sounds like it may be an ECM fault.

Tuner in Training
    thanks LSX378

I decided to go with a new ECM since that P0606 code didn't sound good.

The new part is in and it seems to run fine now

Tuner in Training
    Update

Various DTCs still occured after the ECM swap - including some throttle and airflow (e.g. P0068). I adjusted the Engine Diagnostics / P0068 / Max airflow vs RPM to ensure the airflow is just above a datalog I had done previously. This seems to have stopped all the throttle and airflow DTCs but ...

It now runs fine in Street Mode, but as soon as I put it in Competition Mode, the Reduced Engine Power shows up along with a P0606 code. This occurs with the new ECM too.

Other checks include all the grounds, but they all look fine.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Sounds like a wiring or electrical system issue to me.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe Bad Thottle Pedal Assembly, Bad Throttle Body, Or Bad Dsc Module Or What Ever It Is That Contols Auto.sport/competition Mode?

Tuner in Training

P0606 Update

Well, the saga continues ...

So after swapping the ECM, the P0606 code & Reduced Engine Power occurs as soon as I give it approx 50% throttle after switching the stability/traction control to Competition or Off. No problem in street mode.

So I pulled the fuses on the EBCM (electronic brake control module) to disable it and other than a lost communication error, it runs fine.

If a bad EBCM, I wonder why it would not set any codes related to that computer?

I also tried swapping the battery out thinking the P0606 code could be a result of a momentary undervoltage. However, no change.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    in the ongoing saga ...

I also tried removing a wheel sensor to disable the stability & traction control and the car runs fine - no codes & no reduced engine power

It is starting to look like a fried EBCM.

Can a Tech 2 test this module?

Would getting the dealer to reflash the EBCM be a good next step?

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Yes, a Tech2 should be able to test the BCM. The car has a 3/36 and 5/100k warranty. Do you have it modified?
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    Yes, this car has been modified (headers, tune, intake manifold, ported TB, as well as various suspension & brake upgrades), so I realize the cost to fix is on my dime. I just want to get it fixed.

This is a very curious problem, as the throwing of the P0606 code is very predictable and it is somehow tied into the Electronic Brake Control Module (but no DTCs related to that module). I would think that faulty wiring (grounds, connectors or wiring to TBS or pedal sensors) would trigger this under all conditions, not just Competion or Off Mode. Then when the EBCM module is disabled (via fuses pulled, or tricking it into off mode by pulling a wheel sensor), all is good.

Thanks for any assistance

I am having a VERY similar problem. I am going to try and do the same thing you did. I have a 06' GTO. I have also tried all the things you did. New T/B, new pedal assem., new battery, New MAF, checked grounds, re tune, LOL. And i still get the problem. I get it randomly though. Car is running fine then boom, R/P. I have gotten it after like 10 min of highway driving. cruising at the same speed.

Can anyone help? I have posted this before and all i got was search. Nothing that i found on here has helped me. There got to be another problem solving technique.
    Last edited by xBoostx; 07-01-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Tuner in Training
    On Friday, I will be seeing if a Tech 2 can help diagnose this.

Will keep you posted

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xBoostx View Post
    I am having a VERY similar problem. I am going to try and do the same thing you did. I have a 06' GTO. I have also tried all the things you did. New T/B, new pedal assem., new battery, New MAF, checked grounds, re tune, LOL. And i still get the problem. I get it randomly though. Car is running fine then boom, R/P. I have gotten it after like 10 min of highway driving. cruising at the same speed.

Can anyone help? I have posted this before and all i got was search. Nothing that i found on here has helped me. There got to be another problem solving technique.
    Has your ECM been replaced as well?

Tuner in Training
    Problem solved!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/images/smilies/yay.gif

I got the ECM & EBCM reflashed with OE tunes, then loaded my ECM calibrations. It looks like somehow the EBCM code got corrupted and this was causing the ECM to act up.

Senior Tuner
    FINALLY! I'm rejoicing with you
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)