Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I doing this correct, Tuning VE with STFT's

Usually by hand.

I just found this, but haven't looked into it yet....

Gonna call it a night, have a good one and good luckwith your tuning

Ed
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner
    Ok here is the latest edit with your changes included and I added steps to dial in the MAF table as well. See what you think Ed as well as anybody else who wants to read it. Thanks
    Last edited by tording99z28; 02-22-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Review of procedure

Here are my inputs
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Tuner
    I did this today and when I am tuning the VE I am having trouble filling the 3600 and 4000 columns with values. Any more tips on how to fill the higher rpm's in an A4 car?

Also some questions on the procedures, when tuning the MAF is it best to disable DFCO again and the LTFT's or is it not important with the MAF?
    Last edited by tording99z28; 02-23-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Senior Tuner
    To get all the cells I can in my own car (M6...I know it's different), I set the cruise control at a speed and leave it in a specific gear and try to find a rode with a lot of hills...you can do the same thing with an auto...but if the road isn't very uneven, you might not find that working too well. I find that it does work because I can just vary the speed a little bit to hit different RPM's, then pick a different gear to move the RPM range that the same speed range is hitting.

I'm not sure how hard it's going to be on an auto tranny to do that though...you can try using the gas and brake pedal together to hit cells that seem difficult to hit but anytime you do something like that you're making a lot of heat...and heat isn't really good for anything.

Tuner
    The problem is at the higher rpm's theres no way to put a load on the motor. The lower rpms I just set the the converter to lock and use 3rd and 4th with the converter locked to fill the cells, similiar to a M6 car. The 3600 and 4000 cells I pretty much have to use 2nd gear and in 2nd gear I am weary of locking the converter. Without being able to lock the converter I have no way to put a load on the motor to fill those cells. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tording99z28 View Post
    The problem is at the higher rpm's theres no way to put a load on the motor. The lower rpms I just set the the converter to lock and use 3rd and 4th with the converter locked to fill the cells, similiar to a M6 car. The 3600 and 4000 cells I pretty much have to use 2nd gear and in 2nd gear I am weary of locking the converter. Without being able to lock the converter I have no way to put a load on the motor to fill those cells. Any thoughts?
    Can you hit any of the cells in those RPM levels? If so, the consensus is the % of change over the logged cells would carry over for each of the cells in that RPM column. Multiply each of the unlogged cells by that percentage. It will be close. This assumes that the other cells haven't already been hacked up by previous tuning. If so go back to stock for those columns and relog.

Also the MAF is tuned similar to the VE. Disable DFCO & LTFT's, and reset LTFTS.

Ed

[email protected]

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Can you hit any of the cells in those RPM levels? If so, the consensus is the % of change over the logged cells would carry over for each of the cells in that RPM column. Multiply each of the unlogged cells by that percentage. It will be close. This assumes that the other cells haven't already been hacked up by previous tuning. If so go back to stock for those columns and relog.

Also the MAF is tuned similar to the VE. Disable DFCO & LTFT's, and reset LTFTS.

Ed

Yeah I can hit a few cells, just not very many. Maybe 4 or 5 cells for 3600 and 4000.

Advanced Tuner
    quick question. Doesn't AE also affect your fuel trims? Or is the smooth throttle transitions keeping it from kicking in?
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    quick question. Doesn't AE also affect your fuel trims? Or is the smooth throttle transitions keeping it from kicking in?
    Smooth transition certainly helps and the AFR (Sens 121) filtered to >14.6 covers the rest.

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the response.....hahaha, that last part was a little too much for me, I don't have to adjust anything before hand do I? This is for my grand prix BTW.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Tuner in Training trx2stroke4life39's Avatar
    Never mind I was looking at something wrong I failed.
    Last edited by trx2stroke4life39; 03-03-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    2001- Silverado 4.8, coldair intake, custom catback, headers, Stohner Tuned
    2003- durmax dads truck.Yet to be tuned completely.

Tuner in Training
    Just want to say great information in this thread, its been veryyy helpful. One question i have is, when first tuning the VE, do you want to start with LTFTs if they are around or above 10, remap the VE table. then do it all again but this time disable the LTFTs and just the use the STFTs?
    98' Formula M6