Thread: Stock 2K C5 knock?

Tuner in Training

Stock 2K C5 knock?

Hey all just got HPT and basicly just playing around with it at the moment until I get some real mods and a wide band. I have been reading alot and its my understanding that NA LSx motors are best tuned with a wide band and for 0 knock. My C5 FRC is bone stock save for 03 Zo6 Ti's and a Vararam CAI. I havent messed with and fuel or timing just the closed loop O2 stuff to squeeze 1 more MPG out of it.

Here is a pull in 2nd and it shows some knock starting I backed off as soon as I saw it. Is this normal?

Most of my tuning knowledge comes from the DSM world as I have been playing with the little 4 bangers for years. This is my first LS1 car though.

Any insite is appreciated. Thanks.
    Jay

87 MC SS 6 Speed
    92 AWD Talon
    00 FRC C5 Vram,LT,Ti

Yes, the 2000 & down LS1 cars have too much spark timing. I set up your main spark tables the same as a 2000 C5 6 speed that I tuned for a customer. His car had Dynotech headers, 160*F stat & a Blackwing airfilter.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! Ill give it a try. Is this a custom timing map you did or is it just a 01 map?
    Jay

87 MC SS 6 Speed
    92 AWD Talon
    00 FRC C5 Vram,LT,Ti

No, the timing map is my work.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    No knock now! Thanks for the timing map. Any other 2K and older ls1 tricks I need to know?
    Jay

87 MC SS 6 Speed
    92 AWD Talon
    00 FRC C5 Vram,LT,Ti