Thread: Is it worth it on a stock engine

Tuner in Training

Is it worth it on a stock engine

Hi all,

I have an 03 suburban flex fuel. I also have an HP tuners cable laying around. I have been looking into tuning to gain more power on e85, but i havent been able to find much.
    Is it worth licensing the truck for HPT as it sits, or should i wait until I at least have some bolt ons? All i really want is another 20-40 hp out of the old girl while i save up to do a 6.0/4l80 swap.
    2004 Monte carlo LS 3.8 Sc (l67) Swap (sold) 04 regal, e85, intercooled, 80# injectors, rockers, ported heads/manifold Sold
    2003 Suburban, bone stock (for now) 14 S4, e40, pulleys, dsg tune, intake HPFP upgrade)

Senior Tuner
    E85 is a waste of time looking for power on a NA setup unless it is a balls to the wall octane limited high compression race engine.... Well I guess the GEN 5 NA engines fall in that category too largely because they are octane limited.

Boosted is an entirely different story. They pick up huge on E85 often.

But otherwise yes.. just a general tune especially on trucks really really wakes them up. It's a large part of our local business. Guys stop by and leave with a truck that feels completely different and much lighter on its feet.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    E85 is a waste of time looking for power on a NA setup unless it is a balls to the wall octane limited high compression race engine.... Well I guess the GEN 5 NA engines fall in that category too largely because they are octane limited.

Boosted is an entirely different story. They pick up huge on E85 often.

But otherwise yes.. just a general tune especially on trucks really really wakes them up. It's a large part of our local business. Guys stop by and leave with a truck that feels completely different and much lighter on its feet.
    Thanks for the info! Looks like you folks do mail order tuning, can i send y'all a stock file using HPT? Are there any easy bolt ons that would maximize the impact of a tune?
    2004 Monte carlo LS 3.8 Sc (l67) Swap (sold) 04 regal, e85, intercooled, 80# injectors, rockers, ported heads/manifold Sold
    2003 Suburban, bone stock (for now) 14 S4, e40, pulleys, dsg tune, intake HPFP upgrade)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    Thanks for the info! Looks like you folks do mail order tuning, can i send y'all a stock file using HPT? Are there any easy bolt ons that would maximize the impact of a tune?
    The way it works is the customer either sends a computer to us or a HPtuners file and we returned a tuned file. After that point we take datalogs to fine tweak it. Datalog revisions and reflashes are very reasonably priced (check website) and we turn files around in 24 hours M-F

As far as mods. Sealed air box intakes help a it. Electric fan kits make a pretty big difference. Beyond that.. typical LSX mod advice.. Headers, then cam, etc.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs