Thread: Looing for stock 6.0 LQ4 tune - stock engine that's been tuned

Potential Tuner

Looing for stock 6.0 LQ4 tune - stock engine that's been tuned

Hi everyone,

I searched the tune repository and only found stock tunes. I have an 03 LQ4 w/4L80 I put in a 77 Nova and looking to compare tunes. I read the stock file and removed the VATS to fire it up. The motor is stock, so I'm curious what others are doing with the tune for better performance - would appreciate any help/ suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Nova 03 LQ4 6.0 stock read 6-12-22.hpt

Tuner in Training
    start by correcting the tire size and rear gear ratio.
    if you dont have a wideband i would recommend getting one.
    if your gunna be beating the tar out of it turn on power enrichment and if your 80e is healthy consider drastically reducing the torque management.
    stock cam and unknown mileage i wouldnt recommend raising any shift points.
    if no wideband at least baby it around and do some fuel trim logging with your scanner. if you have positive fuel trims get them down to zero or slightly negative..
    no body in their right mind should ever copy paste.
    the best advice i can give is dive into learning to tune and as hurdles arise come back here with a log file and the matching tune file with questions.
    there is going to be lots of variables even on a stock setup like: cable throttle or drive by wire, still using the mass air sensor or no, if yes are you still using the factory intake tubing and paper filter? full length truck exhaust or longtubes with short duals, how far above sea level, do you live where its hot or cold.... blah blah blah

learn to setup histograms and add the pids to your scanner. its a lot to take on at first but as you become more familiarized it'll fall into place

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I've had HpTuners for awhile just never tuned with it, my other car I had someone I was emailing logs to. The motor has 95k and I heard it run before I bought it so think engine and trans are in good shape. I did correct tire size when I turned of the VATS, just wasn't sure of all the tables to turn stuff off like torque management, etc. I downloaded a stock 03 5.7 Vette tune to compare so I could enable PCM to control fans and see what stock setting look like.

I searched the forum for getting started threads but most are 10+ years old... I'll figure it out eventually.

Tuner in Training
    I can pull the one from my swap if youd like its an 04 lq4 DBW 4l80 but its 4x4 ill chime back in 2maro

Potential Tuner
    cool, thanks