Thread: First timer LS1 Map reading

Potential Tuner

First timer LS1 Map reading

First time swapper. 99 Ls1 in 81 Vette. Car wont idle past 15-20 seconds. Map reading doesnt change from 10kPa while running or key on engine off. sensor number 19418807 AC Delco. Also motor is cammed. Pcm of NC hot rod cam stage 2. unsure of a stock tune would have issues with that cam when idling. Also open headers at the current time. Any info is greatly appreciated. I dont believe there are any open vacuum ports or leaks. Also where can i find oil pressure reading?
    Last edited by dtridente; 07-11-2022 at 04:35 PM.

Verify your wiring & pinouts at both ends.

screenshot.11-07-2022 16.50.46.png screenshot.11-07-2022 16.50.58.png

Potential Tuner
    Good call. Found broken signal wire. However still crank no start basically

Runs for 15 seconds then dies is not a crank-no-start.

If you do not post a logfile of this happening, and the tune file that was in it during that log, this will be one big pointless guessing game.

Potential Tuner
    Well like the title says, it's my first time. So posting data logs is a foreign language to me right now. And without holding the throttle at about 50% it will just crank no start. I posted here for help, not to be told my approach is pointless. I'll figure out how to log and maybe I'll start a new post (or search) to figure out how to post that to the forum.

Don't get all butthurt this early in the game. You will have a lot to learn, and will make a lot of mistakes, even after you think you've got it pretty well figured out.

How about this - plug in whatever HP Tuners device you have, turn the key on, connect the scanner and start recording, then try to start the car. Stop the log, find the folder where the logs are auto-saved ([system drive]:\Users\[username]\Documents\HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Logs), then post that file here. The channels in the list really don't matter, I just want to see if it's setting any trouble codes and that is recorded no matter what.

And also post the tune file, and all the parts being used if other than stock. Because right now nobody knows if the file is set up right for the parts. '99 LS1 with a cam and headers and everything else bone stock '99 LS1? Camaro? Stock injectors? Fuel system? Regulator type? MAF installed? Is the MAF in stock intake tubing from whatever the PCM is from?

Potential Tuner
    ls1 cam and long tube headers(open/ nothing further back) stock injectors walbro 240 i believe with c5 filter/reg, also has factory ls1 reg on rail.Maf installed in make shift intake to get running. However is up against throttle body

Potential Tuner
    hopefully this works?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    I should add there is no trans in the car as well. Just hoping to get to a running point to make sure everything is hooked up electrically correctly.

Senior Tuner
    You cant run a closed loop system with O2 feedback with open headers. If you must and i think it is stupid to try and tune an engine not in the configuration it will eventually have at least unplug the O2 sensors so it stays in open loop.

Potential Tuner
    I'm not really trying to tune. Just wanted to make sure everything is good and hooked up right. But if the open headers and make shift intake duct with the cam are too much to run the engine at idle. I'll anxiously wait to get closer.

Unplug the MAF and it should run in speed density. May take a few crank attempts and start/stalls, but I figure you're used to that by now. (it takes two failures for the MAF codes before it'll default to SD)