Thread: First time tuning stock ECU

First time tuning stock ECU

Hi guys,

I am building a new engine for my 2000 Silverado 1500 with LR4.
    It is an LS1 Block with 706 heads and truck norris cam.
    I keep the intake, injectors, MAF and so on stock, so I should be easily getting it running.
    I will not worry about WOT for now, main focus is on having it running, so I can breakin the engine and measure with Wideband O2.

So I have read a lot here and compared my stock tune to a stock LS1 tune.
    But I think a stock LS6 tune, due to the similarities in cam (except for LSA) would be more helpful.

Does anyone have a stock LS6 tune?
    The database search function does not seem to work on the european site, I can not filter the results.

Any other suggestions welcome, hit me

Are you using the LS1 injectors or the truck injectors? The LS1 injectors a slightly larger and you'll need at least those but possibly those will be too small once you start full throttle tuning and start going 5,800-6,000rpm.

A LS1 or LS6 tune for starters would be fine, it honestly doesn't matter. You'll be changing a ton of stuff no matter what tune you worked from. The tune repository on your customer page will have stock tunes from both that you can copy data from.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I use the Truck injectors, because the LS1 ones will not fit the truck manifold as much as I understand.
    The difference in flow between truck and LS1 ist pretty marginal and the truck ones are run in 6.0 engines, so I think for now I am OK.
    But, if I start to go to WOT tuning, I will consider 36lb injectors from a Gen4 truck.

Sadly the european page of the tune repository seems to be somewhat broken, so I can not access an LS6 tune, I managed to get an LS1 tune however.
    Can anyone of you guys maybe post an LS6 tune here?

Tuner in Training
    attached is a stock c5z tune. at least i hope it attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you want cheap injectors with easy to find data get some GTP injectors.
    2000 Camaro SS 408 TH400
    2012 Subaru WRX STI
    2013 Camaro SS
    2001 Corvette Z06

Thanks for the help dsmdoctor.
    @ 99CamaroSS, I will look into the injectors.

I have just swapped the engine and will now start to tune it.
    First test with the stck 4.8 tune made the engine run and idle (at that moment the whole intake tube, MAF and Airfilter were not attached.

Restart after intalling the MAF and Air filter made the difference, that the engine runs, but will not idle withoiut slightly touching the throttle.
    But I will first install the new tune and then start trying to get the idle to work.

So,

it took some time, because I had to do it between other things, as time allows.
    The LS6 tune did help alot, so thanks for that.

I got the engine to idle at about he LS6 RPMs, so 725 when warm in gear 800 warm in park.
    I opened the throttleblade a bit in idle, to get the IAC to be happy.

The stock truck injectors seem to be fine, I dialed the ARF in at 12,5 while at powerenrich and made a WOT Pull 1st and 2nd gear, the AFR stayed at around 12.5 the whole time.
    In stock tune, the AFRs are way too rich, maybe to be safe, that may lead to the injectors being too small.

Here is my setup, I attach the tune file, maybe it helps others.

LS1 Block 0.01"overbore
    706 Heads, BTR Springs, trunnion upgrade
    BTR Truck Norris Cam, LS2 chain damper
    Stock Truck intake, TB and ducting from Aircleaner to TB.
    Shorty headers, stock'ish Exhast (200cpi Cats and 3" Dynomax Ultraflow Muffler)
    standard volume, high pressure Oil Pump - 0w30 fully synthetic Dexos II Castrol Edge Oil, Oil to Air cooler with thermostat
    EGR delete
    RWD
    4L60E ("fully build") with stock converter and large oil to air additional trans cooler
    atm with stock 5" aluminum driveshaft and 3,42:1 gears (stronger 5" aluminum driveshaft with 1350 u-joints and 4,1:1 gears on the way), 31,5" Tires (2KXX 8,5x18" rims with 285/60R18 116V Hankook tires)

And now to my intended use for the truck:

I am living in the german countryside and do quite some hauling with the truck, be it getting firewood or building material to carrying away rubble from our home rebuild.
    Mostly the truck is used on countryroads, so speeds between 30 and 70 mph, some light offroad, mostly farm tracks (for that i think about swapping in a select-a-lock, but it was not necessary yet).
    But from time to time I use it to drive longer stretches over the Autobahn at speeds between 80 and 140mph (intended, atm the driveshaft starts vibrating at 115 mph).

I am working with the T?V to get the GVWR to 3100KG (~6800lbs) by using addidional air bags in the back and the max towing capacity up to 3500KG (~7700lbs) by swapping the big suburban rear brakes.
    The guidelines in germany are quite annoying in concern to this, but I think I can pull it off.

If you have any questions or comments, fire away
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmdoctor View Post
    attached is a stock c5z tune. at least i hope it attached.

Hi, I've searching for an LS1 tunes on the forum to do segment swap. I see you provided on for some. But, for some reason, I'm unable to download it. if you still have it, would you mind sharing? Thanks