Thread: IDLE DESIRED AIRFLOW Graph

Advanced Tuner

IDLE DESIRED AIRFLOW Graph

My Idle Desired Airflow seems to change slightly every other time I record a log. I just want to make sure I have the graph set up correctly. Could this mean that it's possible that I am making some progress with the tune or is it likely I have the graph set up incorrectly and or skewing the data somehow? I have been tuning VVE if that matters. Can and will someone confirm that the graph is correct or incorrect?
    Idle Desired Airflow.PNG

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Idle desired airflow will do what it needs to as engine operating conditions change. That said...the data that histogram is collecting isn't going to be useful. Bottom axis values look like RPM, and the axis values are a duplicate of the main parameter...assuming you wanted something else?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. I am trying to dial in my BRAF. I would like to be able to log desired airflow for a particular gear vs rpm. I have a t56 magnum 6 speed and I have been getting rpm flare when I clutch to shift. It doesn't matter if I'm shifting up or down, anytime I hit the clutch, it flares up (idle hangs?). I have been finding success by trying to pay attention to when I shift and decreasing airflow in that area but now that I started trying to tune VVE, it is giving me an issue again. So, my main objective is to find out how much air the engine wants. If possible.

Gen4 e38
    ls7 with stage 2 cam
    t56 magnum

Senior Tuner
    manuals dont know what gear u are in as far as im aware it may use all of the gear or it estimates based on rpm, speed, gear ratios and such, also make sure your idle torque follower is correct for the engine torque output, camshafts do upset that VTT values so best results to get the VTT back to correct or band aid the torque follower to suit

Advanced Tuner
    care to elaborate on how i can begin the process for the torque follower and VTT? I am not ashamed to say that I do not know where to start here. If a wideband is needed, i do not have one at the moment. Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    what u can do is go back to a stock log and see what the engine torque was back then and what airmass and map u were seeing, then with the camshaft make the engine torque output the same for where the stock was showing, so if stock was about 10 torque at 35kpa idle then if ur idle now is say 60kpa take the 35kpa row and put it in the 60kpa row so idle will be back to same values and then blend in above and below for the spark value idle is using, the airmass may be still close so just see and adjust little same way if u have to, then once u calculate torque tables it may shift a bit so just see where its at, then u can also adjust the torque follower table to match the torque values for idle and above/below, hjturbo was working on a spreadsheet to help get the torque back to good there was a thread here somewhere with it in there if u can find it

Advanced Tuner
    ill do some digging to see if I can find the spreadsheet. As far as stock idle goes, I built this engine from scratch so I don't have a log of a stock vehicle idle. (if I understand correctly) Would logging Engine Torque be a good place to start or are those numbers affected by some other input that may or may not have already been input and is now skewed?

Senior Tuner
    As per 07GTS and run through these instructions. This will get you ball park enough for now. You can hand adjust later once you get the hang of things.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    hey thanks!! ill give that a go once i study up on it!
    Last edited by LS ROB; 03-05-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Senior Tuner
    try to make idle about 0-20 torque and lower then idle should go negative torque and above positive for the spark u are running

Advanced Tuner
    that was pretty easy to follow. I appreciate you fellers! ill flash that in and see what happens.