Thread: Assistance please LS1 converted to Gen 4 (MAF issues)

Potential Tuner

Assistance please LS1 converted to Gen 4 (MAF issues)

What I got:

2011 Colorado

5.7l LS1 converted to Gen 4 with 58x reluctor ring, 4x cam gear and E67 ECM.
    Stock 2011 5.3l Injectors
    TR220 cam
    Fi-Tech 102mm Intake
    Long tube headers

Without the MAF, starts and goes straight to idle, throttle is responsive, revs with no issue.

Connect MAF, it starts won't will only idle a few seconds, won't take throttle.

I am using a stock 5.3l tune with the cylinder volume for the 5.7l

I'm at a loss as to where to start tuning with the MAF

Help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: added files

Brian
    _Colorado V8 ECM V7.hpt
    No Maf.hpl
    With Maf.hpl
    Last edited by brian.mclucas; 02-16-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.mclucas View Post
    What I got:

2011 Colorado

5.7l LS1 converted to Gen 4 with 58x reluctor ring, 4x cam gear and E67 ECM.
    Stock 2011 5.3l Injectors
    TR220 cam
    Fi-Tech 102mm Intake
    Long tube headers

Without the MAF, starts and goes straight to idle, throttle is responsive, revs with no issue.

Connect MAF, it starts won't will only idle a few seconds, won't take throttle.

I am using a stock 5.3l tune with the cylinder volume for the 5.7l

I'm at a loss as to where to start tuning with the MAF

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Brian
    Which MAF are you using? How is it mounted? Post your calibration file when you can.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Which MAF are you using? How is it mounted? Post your calibration file when you can.
    I'm using a 213-4222 GM sensor, have tried 2 of them with same result. It is mounted in spectre 4" maf adapter. All 4" tubing, sensor is about 12" from throttle body, and about 8" from air filter.

I will post the current calibration this evening when I get in.

Thank you!!!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Kevin,

I have added files along with logs with and without the MAF

Senior Tuner
    I would start with the MAF curve from a calibration file from an application that is equipped with that MAF. A 2010 Camaro SS would be a good choice.
    I noticed on your datalog that you have a cam sensor DTC. That will cause one to be hard to start as well.

Potential Tuner
    Just so happens, I have a 2010 SS, I will use it for reference on the MAF curve. Any other areas that may need immediate attention?

As for the cam sensor, that error is set permanent do to being initially setup and ran with a 1x cam gear instead of the 4x when my father started this project. It would take 4-5 seconds to crank and ran pretty rough at idle.

I have since taken the truck and found the gear issue, corrected it and that is where I am today, just trying to get a running base tune that I can build on.

Thanks for all the help

Permanent DTCs will self-clear after a certain number of run cycles without a failure. If you are still getting the P0341 you still have a problem. It shows as 'Current', not 'Permanent'. That means the fault occurred during that key cycle and it isn't something left over from some earlier problem.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, I will investigate the cam sensor again