Thread: Benefits of custom OS and how to install it

Benefits of custom OS and how to install it

Just trying to understand what a custom os does, what the benefits are of it. How do you go about putting a custom os on your ecm? Ive read that it would allow real time tuning, which in itself would be awesome.

No RTT on any Gen 4.

Click the OS tab. If your OS has a custom OS available it'll be listed there.

Ok not sure which os tab you are referring to. Os tab in my tune file or here on forum? Also idk if I'm interested in using one just want to know the benefits before I bother to try or use credits if necessary to try it.

NM opened it in tune file, I get the gist of whats happening. Nothing to benefit my use, except maybe vats disabled. I build pcs and mod phones so wheni read custom is, I was thinking along the lines of things like rooted phone being able to do things it wasnt first designed to do.

It expands the VE table to include boost instead of the stock table stopping at 105kPa. Fan enable temps are lowered. Um... on E38/E67 it does away with the silly VVE and gives you a normal VE table. Some other stuff.

The other options in the OS tab are their own things and not part of the custom OS. Not all OSes will have a SD COS available.

So basically its useless to me untill i go forced induction. I did an afm/vvt delete on a 2010 a few weeks ago, that may help him out a bit tho. I just turned the afm system off and told the ecm there wasnt a vvt cam , and bumoed a couple degrees timing and adjusted all the shift points for him. I turned off afm months ago , but he decided he wanted it all gone physically so i gutted it for him, hes MUCH happier now, probably more piece of mind than anything but he know his engine will go a LONG time now.

Senior Tuner
    I wouldnt say that it's useless if still NA.

As blindsquirrel pointed out you get lower fan enable temps. Also the better VE table where you don't have to deal with co-efficients.

Well lower fan temps wouldn't help me at all where I live, could see maybe Texas or Florida that being beneficial tho. I don't know alot about ve tables yet or coefficient so that will be next thing I start reading in I guess