Thread: Can you run these engines on the rev limiter continuously?

Tuner in Training

Can you run these engines on the rev limiter continuously?

On a drive-by-wire engine, Gen 3 or 4, does it hurt to set the rev limiter relatively low(2k to 4k range), and then just block the throttle for all-day operation? Or is there a compromise in doing so?

Another way of asking the same question -- what does the rev limiter do? Does it effectively throttle back the engine in a normal fashion, or does it merely cut off the fuel and/or spark, and risk the engine going lean?

I'm wondering about the feasibility of using these GM v8's to power a stationary implement that requires a steady output speed. I could go the cruise control route, but the simplest might just be to bolt up a sm465 transmission, and set the rev limiter where I want it.

How much load would the engine see? could you just set the idle speed to your required engine speed?
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

Tuner in Training
    One application I have in mind would be 60 hp on a generator, and another would be about 120 on a pump.

I'd like to retain the ability to idle back to 800 rpm for starting and stopping.

Advanced Tuner
    i use the Park/neutral rev limiter "Throttle" in one of my trucks for winching.
    Its set to 2400 rpms and ill hold it there to try and keep the batteries charged up on long winch pulls.

Never had a problem.

now sometimes the throttle control in the PCM will over/under shoot the target rpm and never smooth out. So you have to ease up to the rpm and then let it stabilize.

There is a company out there that makes a "High Idle" switch for the 03-07 trucks. Basically a 0-5 Volt output that mimics the Throttle pedal output

A pump would probably be fine but I doubt you could run a genset with one unless you're running a load that isn't very frequency sensitive, genset controllers are usually designed for the purpose of keeping the engine at the correct RPM with very little error regardless of load changes, that's a long way from what an LS controller is designed to do.
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.