Thread: E78 2011 Silverado 6.0 HELP

Tuner in Training

E78 2011 Silverado 6.0 HELP

I bought the tuning schools complete kit for tuning, GM beginners with laptop and wideband to learn how to tune my truck for the best performance. The problem is the book don't really go into detail on the torque models, and driver demand torque control. Being it has the E78 computer in it, I had to learn from one of the harder computers to tune. Just like they have you set your main timing tables to 19 degrees in the WOT area on both low and high octane tables. and then say trucks like 19-21 degrees of timing. but yet the VCP-IAT-ECT tables are adding timing to make you hit 22.5 advanced. From reading a lot of your post on here seems like I maybe missing info to really wake this truck up. Not asking for a tune just some good info in the steps this book appears to be missing. By far a tuner just trying to learn and understand the why and when of your trade. Thanks for your Time!

Tuner in Training
    Ok maybe better question any body know there way around the E78?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Let me know if I can help.. love these tq based ECUs

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Thank you both! Will read the link when I get out of work. Then if any questions will for sure get ahold of you Ben.

Tuner in Training
    Ben,

I did post my last tune file and was wondering in a quick glance on your part how bad it maybe. Truck does have K&N cold air intake, kook long tube headers, magna flow exhaust, Ron Davis radiator controlled by a temp sensor in the radiator not by ECU, and 4.88 gears with 36 inch tires. Got the fuel trim,PE stuff kinda down but what tables to change for timing and Virtual Torque, Yep I'am lost there. can do the mechanic stuff easier then this is to learn, but feels good to educate myself a bit for sure. If need data log I will have to get a day to drive for awhile weather hasn't been to great up here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Primeau460; 04-08-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Great amount of info. I added the channels just need to figure out what to do from there. LOL

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    How you get the predicted engine torque to axle and not crank? Did not see a different source.

Thanks

Are you running a wideband? Tuning e78 can be tough to learn on, but research and small changes help the learning process. I run 16 psi using the e78 on my 2012 and it is working out well.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Primeau460 View Post
    How you get the predicted engine torque to axle and not crank? Did not see a different source.

Thanks
    Never mind I figured it out feel dumb. when key on shows crank, when running shows idle, then axle when you hit the pedal. NICE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RySmDPT14 View Post
    Are you running a wideband? Tuning e78 can be tough to learn on, but research and small changes help the learning process. I run 16 psi using the e78 on my 2012 and it is working out well.

Yes I do have a wideband. The tuning world not as easy as building them for me anyways. For sure a learning curve, trying to learn and educate. The part that gets me is the multiple timing tables, Virtual torque, and DD. So much controls timing IAT-EGR-ECT plus the one that really is getting me is the VCP table. Do you zero out except IAT for over 131 degrees? then just use the main tables for timing? Trying to take one step at a time.

Big Thanks to all.

I have those tables zero'd out other than the IAT table in my tune. I wouldn't zero it out up to 131 degrees, ramp some out from 104 on imo.
    I'm running a turbo on a 2015 6.0 E78.

Only thing that annoys me is the lack of MAP PE enable, the torque enable works ok but it gets a little funny sometimes with the turbo.

Couple tips to help you figure things out:
    1. Set up a hysto for airmass with rpm vs map, it helped me understand the cylinder airmass easier while figuring out timing tables when i started
    2. Set up a hysto for torque with rpm vs map and then you can check your torque output compared to the virtual model
    3. Set up a hysto for knock with rpm vs airmass matching your main spark table and adjust your spark table to avoid knock.

Get to work on dialing in your VVE with your wideband

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JS264 View Post
    I have those tables zero'd out other than the IAT table in my tune. I wouldn't zero it out up to 131 degrees, ramp some out from 104 on imo.
    I'm running a turbo on a 2015 6.0 E78.

Only thing that annoys me is the lack of MAP PE enable, the torque enable works ok but it gets a little funny sometimes with the turbo.

Couple tips to help you figure things out:
    1. Set up a hysto for airmass with rpm vs map, it helped me understand the cylinder airmass easier while figuring out timing tables when i started
    2. Set up a hysto for torque with rpm vs map and then you can check your torque output compared to the virtual model
    3. Set up a hysto for knock with rpm vs airmass matching your main spark table and adjust your spark table to avoid knock.

Get to work on dialing in your VVE with your wideband
    Thanks for all info! Right now just running of MAF sensor per the tuning school book, Going to do VE table next, I set the MAF to zero high and seemed like it did not disable it to tune VE. I will double check my steps again must be missing something.

Look in my thread and open the tune. Maf is failed out

Tuner in Training
    Look in my thread and open the tune. Maf is failed out

See it Thanks. Have one weird question in torque management show's you can enter 96,674 lb of torque to max out axles on my ECU, That to me is a unreachable number period. So why does GM use such high values instead of say 2000 lbs. just wondering?

96,674 is where the dart landed when they lobbed it at a board of numbers?

Tuner in Training
    96,674 is where the dart landed when they lobbed it at a board of numbers?
    So the numbers are actual torque not some computer programmed value for other calculations. Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Link is not available