Thread: Idle issues

Idle issues

I've just in stalled a cam t0 my c6 GS vette I 'm having big time issues trying to get the idle right on it. I've raised the idle rpms to 900 but right after the car gets up to temperature it just dies. I'm assuming it goes into another table that controls the airflow. I think the car is running really rich. I've tried to pull fuel out using the VE tables but I'm not sure if it's working. I need some help to pull the what I think is a fuel issue.
    I've attached my tune file. Also I have t
    he following mods on the ride:

long tube headers, blower cam, A&A supercharger Ti trim, 96lbs injectors & ported heads.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tobb14; 12-26-2018 at 01:49 AM.

You don't want to assume it's running rich, that is a must know thing. Get your wideband working properly in the logs.

One thing I see straight away in this log, you MAP sensor is reading well over 100kpa just idling. So it's like it's in boost and surely not helping you. Make sure the linear and offset settings match the MAP sensor you are running.

If the MAF is still active, removing from the VE or VVE tables isn't going to help you much because it's still using the MAF sensor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks for the input. I've found the culprit. When I put the engine back together I didn't have the wide band o2 sensor installed in the exhaust. Too excited with getting the car back running. Also you were correct fooling with the VE table didn't help much. After getting the car back started I'm still burning really rich 10 to 11's AFR at idle and you can smell it. It's burning really rich. With the new cam and 96lbs injectors I can't seem to take fuel out without lowering the air at the same time. Is it possible to set idle using one the following methods:

1. adjust fueling using VE Table tuning with MAF off

2. adjust injector timing boundary angle in the idle range by dropping it gradually. I'm hoping it will take our the strong fuel smell while idling.

3. make adjustments in the variable camshaft tab, currently under general it has camshaft none, idle values disabled, idle enable disabled and use of oil pressure disabled. I want to do some more reading before I touch this area.

please provide your thoughts

Advanced Tuner
    look at your log!!!!!

your manifold pressure at idle is saying its in boost. no wonder its so rich.

what map sensor is in it? its scaled for a 3 bar sensor.

your IFR table is maxed out for over half of it which will cause you head aches with your air flow model. load the stock ifr table. highlight the entire table and multiply repeatedly by 1.02 until you get the correct value for your pressure and injector size in the 408KPA cell. you don't want to see 127 in any cell at all, that will max it out.

thanks for the input. I loaded the zr1 map sensor that I purchased and it had my map all screwed up. Either some models on the zr1 (I loaded the off sets correctly) came with the ls3 sensor or the dealership I purchased it from got it all screwed up so I put my old one back in since it should be able to handle the boost I will be running. Right now I'm just going to start over from scratch. I played with the ve tables for 2hrs and it still was the same result see attachments. at this point I think my injector data isn't loaded correctly. please see injector data attachment. everything highlighted is the specs I went with. I'm so far in the rabbit hole at this point, I just need to start over with a stock GS tune. sorry for the information overload but right now i'm pulling my hair out and need help.

1. I need help understanding if my injector data is loaded correctly.

2. fuel; how to I take fuel out of the tune as my wide band is still reading 10-11 AFR. fuel is burning so rich you get high walking into the garage I had to take it outside.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you need more air and stability, in order to make it run leaner and not stall I would recommend raising your minimum idle airflow table.
    engine>idle>airflow tab>Airflow final minimum
    your very first post with your log actually has zeroes in all but 2 rows, and your car was unfortunately destined to die at idle. the latest posted tune V3 no good, looks closer to what I would expect from a stock vehicle. To give you an example my stock c6 Z06 has around 70 and 80 in the first 5 columns (250-1000) and yours barely has 50 and 60.

I am unsure what stage your cam is, but i just purchased a stage 2 Texas speed cam(I wanted the lethal racing Nightfury cam, but that's another story) for my wife's base C6 and its definitely bigger than my stock Z06 cam. Which means it is going to require more air. I am not an expert but if it was my car I would add 20% to your first 5 columns and see if it makes a difference, if its almost stable add more, if the idle wont settle back down to the desired rpm, then lower the min airflow some. Once its sitting in a nice steady spot, you can use timing to adjust the sound at idle as well as the stability, roughness, lope, etc... Hope it helps good luck

Lastly: not sure if its because i'm on the custom SD OS but once the idle is sitting in a nice spot open up vcm scanner while its running, connect to the vehicle, go to vehicle>special functions and find the spark adjustment, I was able to play with this in real time to find the note and feel I desired, than changed the spark tables to match afterwards. Probably common knowledge, good luck again.
    Last edited by Gpargament; 12-26-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Idle

Thanks that worked like a champ with keeping it running but it didn't help my running rich situation.
    the car is stable at idle. First major hurdle solved. Do you have any advise on pulling fuel from the idle?
    I have the car setup in speed density mode trying to make changes in the VE tables to the fuel. I've adjusted it about 5 times with
    very little luck. Any other advise would be extremely helpful.

Senior Tuner
    u should make it fail for SD quicker still have the counts way too high, set fail high 2 low 1, run time 0, test rpm min 0, test delay 0, high count 1, low count 1, at bottom change max ect to -40 that should fail instantly

Interestingly enough I was in another thread on here seeing if I could help https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...servative-tune he was just curious if there was any power left behind from the mail order tune having a target afr of only 11.03. But the great news is his car runs great and he is using ID1050x injectors. Check out what his min injector pulsewidth is set at compared to the stock 2006 ls2 c6(ive attached both files) he went from 1.276 to .276 thats a dramatic difference, and again his car runs great and thats from a professional tuner. Turns out when I was faced with the same situation, I was on the right path, I just had too cheap of injectors, i had no name 60lbs and I was trying to take the minimum pulse width from .727 to .453 and a lot of the injectors wouldnt spray, but thats my fault for cheaping out.

Try lowering your minimum injector pulsewidth a little bit and watch the changes on your wideband, then adjust as needed.

stock 2006 ls2 c6 corvette.hpt
    Anthony Garman 2006 Corvette M6 ECS 1500 ID1050x 224-240-117 LS7 MAF PG tune 5.hpt
    Last edited by Gpargament; 12-28-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    if you're struggling try entering all your stock injector data, highlight the entire IRF table with stock values. times it by 1.02 repeatedly until the 408KPA pressure cell says 96.

leave everything else stock to rule out bad injector data.

FYI your VVE table cant have negative values. realistically any value smaller than 500 wont really make a difference