Thread: Dwell time and 585 truck coils

Advanced Tuner

Dwell time and 585 truck coils

Im 24x lt1 using ls1 pcm and 2002 fbody operating system. Judging by the way the ls1 coils work in the dwell tables, the dwell time is less but the multiplier adds to the dwell. Whereas the truck coil have a higher dwell time in the dwell tables but the multiplier subtract from from the dwell.
    Heres what i get if im doing the math right
    Ls1 table
    At idle
    12 v at 176? 5.1278ms
    13v at 176 ? 4.628ms

585 table
    At idle
    12v at 176? 4.051ms
    13v at 176? 3.5....

Now idk how the multiplier min/max adds into the equation but if these coils dont like anything over 4.5ms then the stock ls1 dwell tables are pushing it.

My problem is im killing 585 coils left and right, 1 last year 2 this year.
    Whereas they could just be shitty coils or a combination of shitty coils and bad pcm settings with to much dwell i do not know.
    Im just looking for opinions.

Advanced Tuner
    If you want to tune them properly you need a proper oscilliscope to watch the current trace of the primary using dwell vs voltage as well as a dyno OR a test fixture to hold a steady state enironment for the coil to fire. You will be able to watch EXACTLY when the primary flat lines and even begins falling off.

Use the factory or manufacturer settings for the coil unless you want to do that and dont by cheap Amazon/Vatozone coils.