Thread: What should my AFR be???

Potential Tuner

What should my AFR be???

I'm new to this forum but see it as a place where most members are into tuning. I'm running a 418 cu in LS3 with a 4150 style Holley intake and throttle body with Holley 42 lb injectors, all running off the earlier 24x ECU system. My AFR is set to run at 14.68 on closed loop. My question is; I can't seem to get my engine to run any cooler than 230 degrees. I have a big cross-flow radiator (17.5" x 31.5"), 180 thermostst, Edelbrock hi-flow pump, and twin Maradyne (12" & 14") fans. My plugs look like it's running too lean and the engine acts like it's too lean but my tuner says that can't be because it's set at the stoich (14.68). I talked to Holley thinking that since my intake system is completely different than the factory style, maybe I need to be at a lower AFR. They recommended I try 14.2 but I would like to find out from real world users what seems to work. Can anyone advise??? Thank you!

Stoich is probably closer to 14.2 anyways...

Fuel change that much won?t make much difference... I bet you have something else going on

Tuner in Training
    Verify temp with an inferred thermometer. With 10% (approx) alcohol the stoich is going to about 14.4 I hope that is not your full power ratio. Your ok at 14.68 for light loads.

Quote Originally Posted by cwmusser View Post
    I'm new to this forum but see it as a place where most members are into tuning. I'm running a 418 cu in LS3 with a 4150 style Holley intake and throttle body with Holley 42 lb injectors, all running off the earlier 24x ECU system. My AFR is set to run at 14.68 on closed loop. My question is; I can't seem to get my engine to run any cooler than 230 degrees. I have a big cross-flow radiator (17.5" x 31.5"), 180 thermostst, Edelbrock hi-flow pump, and twin Maradyne (12" & 14") fans. My plugs look like it's running too lean and the engine acts like it's too lean but my tuner says that can't be because it's set at the stoich (14.68). I talked to Holley thinking that since my intake system is completely different than the factory style, maybe I need to be at a lower AFR. They recommended I try 14.2 but I would like to find out from real world users what seems to work. Can anyone advise??? Thank you!
    What car you are writing about ? check your fan speed and fan shroud and make sure there is no air in your coolant , and make sure the cross over vapor pipe on the cylinder head is connected to the radiator.

The AFR at idle will not make your engine run hot.