Thread: Forcing SD but pcm goes into MAF mode at high rpm? E40

Tuner in Training

Forcing SD but pcm goes into MAF mode at high rpm? E40

E40 PCM with 2 bar OS. Trying to lock in speed density. MAF sensor is completely removed from vehicle. At 4100rpm the air calc mode goes from low speed to high speed and from what I understand that means its in maf mode. I've reduced VE tables in half and it doesn't respond to changes over 130kPa when switching to "high speed". Tried several changes and nothing seems to work. This happens each and every time the vehicle sees high load/rpm.

I've made all cal changes from the guides on locking VE: zero'd maf fail, set P0101/2/3 to mil on first error. I've read some people have issues when scanner is logging maf channels so I removed those and it still isn't helping.

What am I doing wrong here? cal and log attached
    Justin 5.3 Swap 2 bar 10.hptcal 10 2nd gear pull log.hpl

Some E40 OS required an OS patch for one of the air model, but I seem to recall that was not reverting once in High Speed. I honestly don't recall the precise application of the patch and if it's still applicable to EnhOS, but it will be easy to investigate on your cal. Same location as the Enhanced OS that you've already applied.

P.S. Search the Gen4 section as that's where you'll find info on E40 as it largely sat between Gen3 and Gen4 in some ways.

Advanced Tuner
    what size are your injectors?

I would try first maxing out you p0101,P0106, P0121 min coolant temp in order to stop it testing for those. its in engine diagnostics airflow section

I would also put your MAF hz values back in for high and low airflow tables in the main engine airflow section.

if your injectors are far bigger than 60lb you may have an issue. if the values in the VE table are too small for what the PCM is expecting it can also cause issues. in which case double stoich, half the IVT AFR terms and use a value that is 1/2 your injector size in the IFR table. that will allow you to use bigger numbers in the VE tables to get what you want and this the PCM will not do weird things like it does with too smaller values.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    Some E40 OS required an OS patch for one of the air model, but I seem to recall that was not reverting once in High Speed. I honestly don't recall the precise application of the patch and if it's still applicable to EnhOS, but it will be easy to investigate on your cal. Same location as the Enhanced OS that you've already applied.

P.S. Search the Gen4 section as that's where you'll find info on E40 as it largely sat between Gen3 and Gen4 in some ways.
    Thanks for the info, I've looked everywhere I could find. My last resort was to post up here and see if the experienced people from this forum have seen this. I didn't see anything in the gen 4 section but my focus was primarily in gen 3.

Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    what size are your injectors?

I would try first maxing out you p0101,P0106, P0121 min coolant temp in order to stop it testing for those. its in engine diagnostics airflow section

I would also put your MAF hz values back in for high and low airflow tables in the main engine airflow section.

if your injectors are far bigger than 60lb you may have an issue. if the values in the VE table are too small for what the PCM is expecting it can also cause issues. in which case double stoich, half the IVT AFR terms and use a value that is 1/2 your injector size in the IFR table. that will allow you to use bigger numbers in the VE tables to get what you want and this the PCM will not do weird things like it does with too smaller values.
    Running id1000's on e85 with no boost referencing regulator. Was accounting for ethanol via injector size in the cal. My next step was to scale injectors and airflow in order to get some control of fuel flow rate again. As you saw it's maxed. I'm glad you suggested that, it gives me confidence that's a good next step.

I had maxed out the p0101 p0106 and p0121 before. I lowered them thinking maybe it wasn't running the maf test and forcing the ecu into only sd mode. I also had realistic maf values in there at the beginning. Lowered them thinking maybe they were screwing with me.

Advanced Tuner
    I thing scaling the IFR for no boost reference and doing the other steps will get your Ve responding again

the Air Calc Mode will still go to high speed mode, it is still in SD but calculating airmass at a slower rate for processing power reasons
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    I thing scaling the IFR for no boost reference and doing the other steps will get your Ve responding again
    That seemed to work. Scaling the cal raised VE up and now I appear to have control again(See below, after looking closer that's not the case)... Now my next problem is that I'm hitting a limit somewhere with my map sensor reading. I seem to max out both a 2 bar and 2.5 bar at roughly 70-80% of their capacity. The 2 bar peaks at 158kPa and the 2.5 bar wont read higher than 180kpa. I know there's more boost in there because it goes lean at that point and the mechanical boost gauge continues to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    the Air Calc Mode will still go to high speed mode, it is still in SD but calculating airmass at a slower rate for processing power reasons
    I've added maf state as a channel and it stays in MAF Fail the entire time now which is good. In the futire i'll look toward this channel instead. Chris, any input on the map sensors maxing out?

In this log you can clearly see the map sensor stop reading at 158.2kPa. The boost gauge in the car continued to rise.
    high boost on 2 bar _03.hpl

<<<<EDIT>>> still don't have full control of fuel after scaling. "VE boost" doesn't match what's populated in the scanner. Its closer, but I can't control VE. I also tried write entire and that didn't seem to help. Scaled using double stoich and half injector flow.
    Last edited by colo_evo; 06-19-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Bump.

Is there a way to get this moved to the gen 4 section since it may get more exposure there?

Did you half the IVT terms when you did the double stoich?

Also remove both MAP channels, re-poll for supported parameters and add back in the 2 or 3 bar MAP channel. The less duplicate channels you log the better the results.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Did you half the IVT terms when you did the double stoich?

Also remove both MAP channels, re-poll for supported parameters and add back in the 2 or 3 bar MAP channel. The less duplicate channels you log the better the results.
    I've seen this 2/3 bar channel mentioned in other threads and I can't find it in the channels list. Do I need to do something special to populate this? I've re-polled and I only have one map pressure channel available to log. I'd also like to log map sensor voltage if possible to see if the voltage clips at the same time.

Not really, it's in there.

I search all of the parameters and not just what it shows for that specific vehicle.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

the E40 uses the regular MAP PID, it's only the LS1's that need the 2 or 3 bar PID. The E40 supports up to 255 kPa in the code. Maybe your sensor values are not correct, you can log MAP Sensor Voltage and see if its hitting close to 5V
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Not really, it's in there.

I search all of the parameters and not just what it shows for that specific vehicle.

What i have available. Tried in two different computers running different versions of the scanner in both beta and non beta.
    No 2 bar available.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Whats odd though is i can see all the channels i need if i search in the graphs/histogram/gauges:

multiple selections.jpg

If i select them and record nothing shows up. They're zeros.

Do what Chris said then, only select the regular MAP channel as it's coded to 255kpa.

I'm so used to P01 and P59 computer where I need the 2/3 bar channel.

Tuner in Training
    I selected Intake manifold absolute pressure (SAE) and when HP tuners prompted to select generic sensor, I selected "No, I know what i'm doing". This seems to look at the right channel.

That seemed to solve all my problems... It was pulling the wrong MAP sensor by default.