Thread: What spark plugs for 416 stroker on e85?

Advanced Tuner

What spark plugs for 416 stroker on e85?

I have a stroker 416 ls3 compression its around 11.5/12, I'm running the br7ef NGK on e85, I'm getting some pop through the muffler when converter locks and at WOT i feel some misfire its not getting her full power. I feel that its not liking the spark plug i did some research and they talk about a colder plug 8+. AIrfuel its good i have add fuel and take off and it does the same and i don't think its detonation.

I forgot to get a log but everything looks good on fuel.

Senior Tuner
    using ethanol is already colder combustion so going colder plugs may cause issues, im using TR6 plugs gapped at 0.8mm on ethanol and boost works fine

Advanced Tuner
    I’ll try some tr6, something it’s not liking the e85 and it does the same as when a spark plug gets crack and it starts popping.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Ls1 View Post
    I have a stroker 416 ls3 compression its around 11.5/12, I'm running the br7ef NGK on e85, I'm getting some pop through the muffler when converter locks and at WOT i feel some misfire its not getting her full power. I feel that its not liking the spark plug i did some research and they talk about a colder plug 8+. AIrfuel its good i have add fuel and take off and it does the same and i don't think its detonation.

I forgot to get a log but everything looks good on fuel.
    Did you ever figure this out? I have a 416 TS stroker with PRC heads about 12.8-1 compression. I get some popping light throttle low rpm's. Running TR6 gapped at .050. Threw stock oem plugs in and it did the same thing. 116 race fuel didnt make a difference either.

Advanced Tuner
    br7ef NGK is a good plug for that setup. Sounds to me as if the issue in the thread was due to a cracked spark plug or burnt plug wire. As for bullet proof, check your plug wires for damage, and check all your grounds.
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Senior Tuner
    too cold of a plug will usually show up when you crank and move a car a few times without letting it warm and after that it runs a bit rough until you "clear it out"

basically the plug will dirty up any time things aren't optimal.. like cold engine start up.

popping going down the road is going to be a flat out misfire. If its popping in decel it doesn't have enough timing in it.. Crazy big cams can do it at low rpm high load. I've had bad injectors pop occasionally going down the road too. that is pretty rare though.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Camshaft reversion is fairly rare, but as Alvin stated, it may be a possibility during a certain RPM at cruising speeds if the cam has enough overlap
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A