Thread: E67 radiator fan and vehicle speed

Potential Tuner

E67 radiator fan and vehicle speed

Hi all, got a swap into an S10 w/ E67 running a 5.3. Runs great but the fans seem to turn off if the truck is faster than about 5 ish mph. I see in the gen 3 programs that they actually had vehicle shutoff speeds options but I don't see anything in the options for 4th gen computers. It seems like they're hard coded for a speed. Does anyone know a way (besides not controlling them with the computer) to adjust the shutoff speeds?

Potential Tuner
    No one chimed in with anything. I did some scanning and thought I'd at least share my observations.
    There are 2 discrete for fan 1 and fan 2 that I found in the scanner. Though the way my relay setup works has both fans tied to the fan 1 discrete.
    First and foremost: the fans only seem to turn on when you're stopped, or at least closer to about 3 mph. It'll shutoff at around 35 mph though if you're accelerating. But as I alluded to, there is a huge hysteresis such that you have to be back around 0 mph for them to turn back on. Also means that if you're cruising along at 15 mph and the temp starts to kick up, they still won't turn on until you're stopped.
    I thought about just adding a manual switch for the few times I'm offroading and might still do that, but I think in addition I'll "divorce" the fans from the computer and run a stand alone fan controller because stop and go conditions happen often enough, plus a nice pmw controller will help with the electrical load.
    Any other ideas are welcome.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune file. What OS/base platform are you using?

Also check out this thread: Super COOL (sorry) cooling fan control discovery!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Did you ever figure out a fix for this or what was causing it? Another guy I talked to is having the same problem with his fan shutting off at about 40 mph. I will soon be installing a pwm fan and am worried about it shutting off at while driving.

Tuner in Training
    I have an E67 on my H3 that I swapped efans to. I have a problem when the fan shuts off at around 40 mph the ECT start climbing to 240*. I realized that if I drive at 35 mph the ECT drops down as the fans would be on. I tried using the controls in the vcm scanner to manually command the fans ON and realized that at 70 mph if I command the fans to HI my ECT will drop from 240* to 215*.
    Now the E67 doesnt let me edit what mph the fans turn off and this is causing a problem. I realized the E38 has that option. I too will be moving to pwm fans but it wont fix the fan off at speed issue.
    Is there a way to add it to the vcm editor?
    Last edited by amrg; 07-20-2018 at 04:33 AM.