Thread: Virtual VE starting point for new build

Potential Tuner

Virtual VE starting point for new build

Hey Guys,

I have been reading for the past 2 days straight and give up So I am asking the smart folks here...

I am helping a buddy with a rebuilt 5.3, he removed the DOD and added a mild truck CAM (for a 2007 Avalanche). He just needs to get it safely to a place to have it tuned but they are a ways away... I understand how to shut off the DOD and set the Idle up a bit.

I also understand I should add more fuel to not have a lean condition due to the CAM. Most of what I read is about multiplying the VE table by 1.15. I just want to make sure it works the same with the Virtual VE Editor on the Gen 4? It looks different than most tutorials I have found?!?!?

So... Multiply by 1.15 on the Virtual VE and Multiply the MAF by 1.03. Is that safe, or am i not understanding this?

Thanks a ton for all the info that is here...
    -Scott

If it's a mild truck cam, adding 1.03 to the MAF, should get you going. Don't fool with the VVE, let the tuner do that. Don't drive over 2000 rpm or so. I would pull about 3 degrees of timing out of the high octane table just to be safe. You may have to add a little to the Base Running Airflow to get it to idle with the cam. Be sure and make a copy of the base tune before you modify it.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    If it's a mild truck cam, adding 1.03 to the MAF, should get you going. Don't fool with the VVE, let the tuner do that. Don't drive over 2000 rpm or so. I would pull about 3 degrees of timing out of the high octane table just to be safe. You may have to add a little to the Base Running Airflow to get it to idle with the cam. Be sure and make a copy of the base tune before you modify it.
    Excellent... Thanks a TON for the reassurance!

-Scott

Potential Tuner
    One more question if you have time to answer... I got it running and it seems pretty good... The idle is still just a little rough, how much is adding a "little" to the Base Running Airflow? I multiplied the entire "Airflow Final Minimum" table in the Base Running Airflow section by 1.03. I am not sure I changed it enough to have an impact at only 3%. The delta at 600rpm is .16 g/s and .23 g/s at 800rpm?!?!?

Thanks again!

What is your idle timing? You may need to add a couple of degrees and set the idle to 750 rpm until you get it tuned. On the Base airflow, if it is 5.** stock, add 1.** to that to make it 6.**g/s, in the lower rpm area, 600-to 1000 rpm areas. And see how that works. Keep track of the changes in case you need to go back.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Thanks on the Base Airflow, I will up that tomorrow... And thanks for the advice, I have been making changes one at a time and creating a new file every change.

On the idle timing I am a bit confused on that. Is that in the table that is in Spark->Advance->Main Spark Advance (High and Low Octane)? Or the Spark->Advance->Idle Spark Advance->Base? I would think it is the later, if it is, the Idle Spark Advance in the 600-800rpm range is 16 degrees. In the Main Spark Advance it is 30 to 43 between 600-800rpm on the low octane and 2 degrees higher on the high octane (32-45).

So you are thinking besides a little more fuel, I could add timing in what I assume is the Idle Spark Advance Base?

Thanks again for the help, it actually runs fairly well, minus a small random miss every now and again. I think he is going to have it tuned in a couple of weeks by a pro, but again, it seems pretty decent.

Tuner
    Idle Spark Advance Base!