Thread: Fuel pump duty cycle for boosted application

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Fuel pump duty cycle for boosted application

What are you guys running for your fuel pump duty cycles? stock for my application was set to 48% and i've bumped it up a couple of % but i'm wondering if there is a safe number you can get away with when you need to make sure your fuel pressure stays rock solid. Apparently I'm out of injector a bit lower that what I should be ie not much boost but out of injector so I'm thinking my fuel pressure probably isn't what it needs to be.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I've raised it to 60%, haven't tried higher, but most of my customers don't have fuel pressure gauges so I am not sure how much it really helps.

Tuner
    I also always raise it to 60% in combination with TVS Gen2R's, 56lb Inj. and VMP BAP, @ 13PSI boost and original injector data from FP works best for me in this setup.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    I've raised it to 60%, haven't tried higher, but most of my customers don't have fuel pressure gauges so I am not sure how much it really helps.
    Yeah on coyote's theres no schrader valve so its a bit different, you need to buy an adapter that goes inline at the connection near the intake in order to add a gauge, bit of a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    What are you guys running for your fuel pump duty cycles? stock for my application was set to 48% and i've bumped it up a couple of % but i'm wondering if there is a safe number you can get away with when you need to make sure your fuel pressure stays rock solid. Apparently I'm out of injector a bit lower that what I should be ie not much boost but out of injector so I'm thinking my fuel pressure probably isn't what it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Town-GT View Post
    I also always raise it to 60% in combination with TVS Gen2R's, 56lb Inj. and VMP BAP, @ 13PSI boost and original injector data from FP works best for me in this setup.
    Coyotes are 2 speed mechanical returnless. Duty cycle represents a command sent by the PCM to request specific fuel pump operation. Raising the max duty cycle in the tune will not result in increased pump flow. The only way to do that is to increase alternator voltage output.

fpdutycyc.jpg

Bill, try lowering values 24060 and 24061 and increase 44202, all located under System -> General.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    Coyotes are 2 speed mechanical returnless. Duty cycle represents a command sent by the PCM to request specific fuel pump operation. Raising the max duty cycle in the tune will not result in increased pump flow. The only way to do that is to increase alternator voltage output.

fpdutycyc.jpg
    given this information and while using a BAP, one could let the MaxDC stock I guess !?

I leave mine at 48% and max out the alternator values. Car has a Stage 3, TVS Gen II, with ID1000s (and a VMP BAP). Car dynos around 700 RWHP and has plenty of fuel overhead.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    Bill, try lowering values 24060 and 24061 and increase 44202, all located under System -> General.
    Thanks Witt, I'll try lowering those 60/61 tables. I did increase the 44202 to 14.7 across the board. And as you stated even with the max duty cycle set to 60% it did not go over 50% in the scanner.

I have ID1050x's on the way but I was told by procharger they should be enough injector for 9psi with the stock shift points but at the stock shift points the duty cycle is well over 130% so I've had to temporarily set my shifts to short shift by 6200 which I hit around 6-7psi but I'm already at 100% duty cycle. Optimally checking my fuel pressure would be my best bet unfortunately I do not have a gauge/adapter currently available though it might very well be in my future.

Was really hoping it was something I screwed up in the tune *snap fingers* darn.

Tuner
    what should the recommend changes be in a tune be for a return dual pump system for a boosted application?

You can look at http://injectordynamics.com/injectors/id1000/ they have a plug n play datasheet for return or returnless. There are only a few fields they modify between the two, maybe comparing would help you, especially if you use any ID10xx

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    your injector data must be wrong, with only 9 psi LU47 will be more than enough let alone ID1050x

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Thanks Witt, I'll try lowering those 60/61 tables. I did increase the 44202 to 14.7 across the board. And as you stated even with the max duty cycle set to 60% it did not go over 50% in the scanner.

I have ID1050x's on the way but I was told by procharger they should be enough injector for 9psi with the stock shift points but at the stock shift points the duty cycle is well over 130% so I've had to temporarily set my shifts to short shift by 6200 which I hit around 6-7psi but I'm already at 100% duty cycle. Optimally checking my fuel pressure would be my best bet unfortunately I do not have a gauge/adapter currently available though it might very well be in my future.

Was really hoping it was something I screwed up in the tune *snap fingers* darn.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    your injector data must be wrong, with only 9 psi LU47 will be more than enough let alone ID1050x
    I can only underline that, 13 PSI here with 56lb and no Injector or fuel delay issues at all @7200
    Must be something wrong in Inj-data.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unfortunately it isn't unless fords data is wrong lol. I've attached a recent iteration you can view. They are actually the G302 injectors, not LU47 but still 47lb [email protected] https://performanceparts.ford.com/pa...-9593-g302.pdf

Trust me I wish there was a simple answer here like opps I screwed up the injector data but it doesn't appear so to me at least.
    Attached Files Attached Files

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Town-GT View Post
    I can only underline that, 13 PSI here with 56lb and no Injector or fuel delay issues at all @7200
    Must be something wrong in Inj-data.
    I notice both of you are overseas, do you have any ethanol content in your gas where you are? This can also make a pretty big difference in the fuel necessary at a given lambda

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    zero Ethanol
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner
    same here, we have 102 (ROZ) octane pump gas here with zero Alc.
    Yes Bill, did not think about that, this indeed can make some major difference.
    Last edited by G-Town-GT; 12-13-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 15PSI View Post
    I leave mine at 48% and max out the alternator values. Car has a Stage 3, TVS Gen II, with ID1000s (and a VMP BAP). Car dynos around 700 RWHP and has plenty of fuel overhead.
    "max out" the high fuel alternator tables? if so what voltage and fuel cutoff do you use?