Thread: knock retard question

knock retard question

thanks for all the help with my lsa tune ,, its coming around nicely ,,, take a look at my last log and tune ,, the knock retard seams to be kind of random with no other reasons why it would just retard timing in a hard pull ,, I would expect if leaned out or went way rich to see a knock ,even a transmission shift might show it ,,I know there are many factors (iat, engine temp ,coolant temp, ect) ,,the commanded and actual AFR are pretty close ,,, now are the sensor factory settings set way to sensitive ? I see in some tunes that I compared the Millie volts where increased in the knock sensor level ,,, any info in this would be great ,,
    highway test pull rt9.hpl
    gmondeperformance 2009 g8gt lsa upgrade id 850 injectors maf dial in.hpt

Tuning Addict
    The stock knock sensor settings are way over sensitive for a blower setup. The noise from the blower alone will cause random knock pickup not to mention if you throw something like headers into the equation too... I've seen anywhere from 30 to 50 hp gains just from dialing the knock settings back and adding in another 2 to 5 degrees of timing... As long as you don't completely disable them and only dial them back a little - it'll still pull timing if it actually sees knock - set them up a touch sensitive still, but not as aggressive as factory and they'll still pull timing before it actually knocks... The last part of that is usually the goal... Having timing adders dialed in better becomes a little more important at this time too...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    You could try taking away a degree to see if it goes away or if it happens again then it's probably false knock. I would also log burst knock or either disable it in the tune so it doesn't alter timing. And in order to know where to remove timing on the HO spark table you need to log cylinder air mass.

I have adjusted the timing back already seeing the random knock with the same result,, yeah I suspected the sensors are set to sensitive ..i will change the knock level and see,, thanks gmonde