Thread: Current draw of ECM when the engine is off

Tuner

Current draw of ECM when the engine is off

I searched and could not find anything. I'm having battery draw down problems.

What should I expect the current draw of an ECM to be for a 2001-ish ECM?

When I connect the ECM back to power via the meter, does it 'wake up' at all?

Thanks

Peter
    Peter Young

1966 LandCruiser FJ40 with 6.0l Gen 3 vortec and 4L80E.
    1984 LandCruiser FJ60 with 5.3l Gen 3 vortec, Magnusen supercharger, and 4L60E

What is your current draw in Milliamps?
    With and with out the ECM in the circuit?

Tuner
    I got 100 milliamps with everything connected, ignition off. I need to go back out and pull some fuses. I was wondering what I should see with the ECM asleep.
    Peter Young

That's a dead battery shortly.
    It should be fairly easy to find.
    The ECM draws a very low current.
    I have never had to check a ECM for a current draw.It is always something else drawing.
    I last checked a 05 Silverado and after the BCM and other modules went to sleep, it had 6 Milliamps of draw.
    GM once stated that anything over 40 Milliamps draw, the battery would need recharged after 3 days of non use.
    It was actually published in the early 2000`s for the Corvette and Cadillacs.
    Ideally, it should have 0 draw. The older non computer,module equipped cars would read 0 draw.
    These days are long gone, 5-9 Milliamp draw is normal according to GM on a Silverado.

Tuner
    Thanks so much, that is a huge help. Time to find someone to hold the voltmeter why I pull fuses.
    Peter Young

Advanced Tuner
    Workingdog, I use a set of mini jumper cables I made using small alligator clips soldered to a length of 12 gauge speaker wire for occasions like this. This way my meter can be placed anywhere I need it to be and remain connected to power. They are also good for quickly providing power or ground to something for testing purposes.
    I build stuff...

Tuner
    Yes, I need to do exactly that. The fact that this is a conversion and the fuse box is just about impossible to fiddle with and the wiring is a mess doesn't help.

Peter
    Peter Young

Tuner
    So, not that I didn't appreciate it, but that was the wrong advice. I was getting 100 ma draw through the alternator! Diodes are shot. I had disconnected the cab from the batter before it finally occurred to me. So, time for a new alternator - nice big one. When I get it in, I'll run the test again.
    Peter Young