Thread: 8L90E trans in older vehicle

Tuner in Training

8L90E trans in older vehicle

Is anyone running an 8L90E transmission on a port injected calibration? As far as I know the switch had been made to direct injection on everything a few years before they started using this transmission. Open to other suggestions as well. For example, can a direct injected/8L90E computer/calibration be set up to run traditional injectors?

Tuner in Training
    So maybe I'm an idiot and those use a separate TCM. I haven't messed with any newer stuff.

The CAN isn't compatible.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    The CAN isn't compatible.
    Can you be more specific? Does that mean I need a 2015+ PCM and calibration to talk to the TCM? So I'm looking at some frankenstein dual PCM setup to run say an early 2000s LQ4 mated to a 8L90E? Or has anyone played around with settings on a direct injected PCM to make it run traditional fuel injectors?

Tuner in Training
    I may not have been clear. This is happening one way or the other. Is there a combination of stock parts that will work? Do I just need an 06+ calibration, or what is the year break? Would I need to run an older computer to actually run the engine and a 2015+ computer in parallel just to process the sensor data and pass it to the TCM? Or do I need to give up on the mismatch and just get a complete 2015+ drivetrain? It's not that I can't figure this stuff out on my own given enough time and research. It's just that I haven't messed with any of the newer stuff myself so I figured someone else may have before and be able to get me up to speed a lot faster than trying to climb the learning curve myself.

I see no way of making it work without the engine and computer from a 2015+.

Everything is torque based with CAN-BUS in the newer vehicles. A GEN 3 computer could never tell the transmission what to do even if there was a stand alone TCM controller for the 8L90e's.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

What you could research is if the E76 ECM out of the 2500 and 3500 trucks with the port injected 6.0 from about 2013+ would communicate with the T87 trans controller. It would take some engine modifications to make work though. It would need to be 58x crank and 4x cam, along with drive by wire.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.